Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:39:04 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: rod knock ? 1.9 ....is this is sign of impending doom?

Your 1.9 is just broken in. It is the 2.1 that throws the rod .I have heard from several sources that the glorious 1.9 can be good for 300K.It just takes 100 years to go that far in a Vanagon equipped as such. Go westy says they see them with 295K ,or more,often. This is Go Westy I am talking about.The people that want to sell you a new engine ,yesterday.Also, I have heard from African people,at car auctions,that the mighty 1.9 is good for 300K.They buy Vanagon parts and load them into Vanagons,and ship them to Africa.Africans dont have money,so they know.

My 1.9 has 197K. As it approaches the 200K milestone,I might change the oil. I did have head gasket leaks ,starting at 150K(when I bought it). Currently,I have removed both gaskets and uglyed up the gasket mating surface(it is now shiney)with a dull drill bit.I squeezed RTV high temp aroung where that old gasket was.Then I backed it up with good ole JB Weld stick all the way around. That was at 190K . Works good,so far.Remember me complaining and whining,and griping about this last winter?

Maybe you just had a leaky valve lifter or a piece of dirt got caught in the lifter.Drive it till it blows,if you live that long.