Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:29:05 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Fixed my speedometer! (long but poss. useful info)

Hi all.

Have been reading with interest about speedo fixes. This was one other job I had to do. Thought I"d post what I did. I know some of it's covered in archives, but maybe not.

First off. I broke speedo indicator! So repaired with Crazy Glue. I filed end of white piece, and mating end though I filed the white part (on black circle) "back" a little to expose some black to give larger surface area for bond. Seems to be holding. The way I figure it, if I'm accelerating fast enough to snap that thing at mend, then I deserve a medal.

Ok. Looking at back of speedo with mileage odometer toward me.

Red gear that turns mileage shaft was loose. I could turn it when holding grey gear to it's left. I got needle nose vice grips and carefully closed the jaws on shaft so as to mark it up. This didn't help much but......

Grey metal gear that turns shaft for mileage odometer was a little loose. i.e. I could turn it when holding end of shaft. Now remember I marked up shaft right? So I wanted to remove the grey gear so I could score it up inside the hole. I tried to move shaft to left. It moved until it pushed into grey gear (presumably) which likely marked up the inside of it. Since it didn't move by hand, I tapped shaft to try and get it through, but no luck. I couldn't get it out easily, and pushed it back to "home". After pusshing shaft back, I found grey gear was now snug on shaft. I got kinda lucky on this, and this is sort of like advice I had read of, (i.e. marking up inside of hole in grey gear) but because I ended up moving scored shaft into grey gear, I presume that it marked up inside of gear, which helped gear get tight on shaft. At least thats what I figure. Now i can hold shaft with soft jaw needle nose pliers, and gear stays put.

But.....

Little red gear was still loose. I fixed that by filing marks on shaft, cleaning up angled end of shaft with file while file in hand, pushed gear on, (it was much tighter now) filed a clean surface on outer collar of red gear, and put "Goop" on cleaned up end of shaft and red gear.

Because I found green dabs of paint on 3 screws which hold 2 parts of housing together, I put Pink Nail Polish (I can explain why I, a guy, have it. Honest!) to secure screws. And of course i put a little oil on parts that should have it before assembling.

One other note: putting tape across numbers is a great idea (thanks archives) if you're taking all apart.

I won't be able to road test for a while, but spinning by hand , it works. The reset works now too.

Long post, but hopefully something useful.

Cheers,

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil