Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:43:11 -0700
From:         Charles McGehee <chasm@ELLTEL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Blinking coolant level light

I'm desperate. No burned wires. Coolant level sensor good. Temp 2 sensor good (or so says my mechanic), level control module good.

But here's a puzzle. When I turn on and turn off the headlights rapidly, the blinking light often goes out (not always, but often.) I thought that maybe that indicated a drop in voltage which was affecting the light and maybe the voltage stabilizer on the back of the instrument panel was screwy. Checked it out, though, and it's okay, too. (9.8-10.0 v, well within Bentley's specs.)

So, where do I go from here? Any ideas? I'm totally beat.

Charles '85 Westy

At 04:40 PM 9/7/2006, Charles McGehee wrote: >Here's where things stand with my blinking coolant level light: > >All grounds clean and sound. Coolant sensor works. Replaced the >coolant level control module (relay).. No change. So I threw up my >hands and took it back to my mechanic. > >Unfortunately, it's not clear how much he knows about what. He >thought the coolant control module was on the printed circuit behind >the instrument cluster and said I had replace the wrong thing until I >showed him the part and he called VW verifying that what I replaced >was in fact the coolant level control module. In any event, he said >that the light would stop blinking when he turned the headlights on >and off repeated. They he wiggled on the wiring harness which runs >across the back above the muffler. He discovered that it was melted, >or at least the plastic cable retainer was sort of melted. After he >wiggled on it, the light switch routine wouldn't work any more. > >He determined, then, that my relay is working and current is coming >out of it, but it's not being received by the flashing light unit, >apparently. He's convinced that the problem lies either in the >printed circuit on the instrument cluster unless the "melted" wiring >has caused some sort of short or current leakage . So I told him to >put it back together again, and I'd look at the wiring harness before >committing to a new printed circuit. This is where it stands now. > >What do you all think of this? Have you ever had the rear wiring >harness melt? It's in a stupid place, I must admit, but still. Have >any of you every had problems with the printed circuit behind the >instrument panel? > >Would appreciate your views. I'm at my wits end. > >Charles >'85 Westy