Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 2006 06:41:45 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hitch install
Comments: To: Rich Bennington <rich.bennington@CHARTER.NET>

The main reason I designed my hitch was the experience of having the tow hooks snap and dropping a luggage carrier. Luckily I was in a campground when it fell.

While the tow mounted hitches are suitable for towing small loads, the twisting action of any overhung load flexes the tow loops and will also stretch out the mounting holes on the chassis rail. My hitch addresses both those issues.

The Vanagon drive line and cooling system handles towing quite well. I have towed Vanagons but I do not recommend it. The limiting factor is brakes and most states require brakes, some with trailers as light as 1,000 pounds.

Dennis

Helmut,

There are several factors that affect "tow rating". Things like radiator capacity, transmission, gear box design, rear end design, frame strength, hitch strength, braking, etc. VW had something like a 1300 lb max tow rating, if I recall correctly, on the vanagon. You can put a stronger hitch on, but it won't increase the tow rating.

I have one of the GoWesty mounts that go on the stock bracket mounts. The hitch itself is VERY strong with a 2" receiver -- would easily get a 5000+ lb tow rating (class III-IV) if installed on another vehicle. The tow hook mount arrangement looks pretty strong too plus the GoWesty hitch has a third connection in the center of the hitch, connected to a crossmember which keeps it rock solid. I'm quite impressed. (Just connecting to the tow hooks alone might sag a bit with enough tongue weight, so it's the right design)

HOWEVER, the engine cooling on the vanagon, the transmission, and the engine power are clearly the limiting factors. Having done a lot of towing on various size vehicles, I wouldn't tow much more than about 1000 lbs with the vanagon. (OK, maybe 1300 lbs on the flats for a short distance!) There will be others that will claim they have towed way more, but I believe in being safe and being realistic. Around where I live (mountains), we never tow more than about 80% of the tow vehicle rating and even less on a vehicle with little torque.

That all said, my bike rack has never been so solid, and I tow a light open trailer for Kayaks, bikes, and windsurfers. Check carefully the weight of your trailer and cargo if going bigger.

--Rich