Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:13:39 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: OT: Fuel Grades, detonation and motor toast
Comments: To: David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>

No your not an idiot for asking this question. I would need more details though to give any type of guidance or feedback though. What year, engine, miles, condition, etc.

Contrary to list beliefs, Vanagons are not the only vehicles that have engine failures. Open the phone book and look for engine re-builders. They number right behind tranny shops and most of them will not touch VW's.

Most Ford van engines are de-tuned and run just fine on regular grade fuel. At high altitudes, lower than normal octane (85) is often sold as higher is not needed due to the reduced atmospheric pressure. Filling with 85 octane and then driving down into the valleys may present some problems.

It is unlikely that low grade gas caused a rod to fail. Detonation will usually show up as burned pistons. There was likely other indications such as overheating, coolant losses including internal head gaskets, etc.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: David Bohannan Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:47 pm Subject: OT: Fuel Grades, detonation and motor toast To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM