Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:18:18 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      FW: [WetWesties] FW: trip through Quebec to Labrador
Comments: To: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

David meant to send this to the wetwesties list, so I'm passing it on, with his permission. And also to the Vanagon list, for those interested in more experiences with travel between Quebec and Labrador.

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht now living in a real house in northern Virginia and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon now living in the driveway and resting after two and a half years lugging Joy and her stuff around...

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://www.joyhecht.net

_____

From: David Etter [mailto:detter@mail.auracom.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 2:54 AM To: jhecht@alum.mit.edu Subject: Re: [WetWesties] FW: trip through Quebec to Labrador

In July of 03, my wife to be and our 82 Diesel Westy made that exact same trip. Halifax N.S.- Campbelton N.B.; straight North to The St Lawrence then up the the coast (down the river) to Baie Comeau then North to Labrador - to Nfld. to Nova Scotia- Halifax once again.

If you wish any details or pictures I can help. There are both unforgetable places and forgetable places.

In the middle there were 1500 km. of very dusty roads. The dust got into absolutely everything. Unfortunately the road being new in many places contained many sharp rocks, so drive carefully and take note.

We said afterwards that were the road paved all the way, the Province could not handle all the tourists. The road, as it was then, was sporatically under construction and slow driving was in order in those places. Nearer the end of the trip, down the East coast of Labrador the drivers were spraying lots of rocks. We were told that the hotrodders were actually older fisherman. You see it was only recently that the road was completed in many of the outports and the fisherman not having driven all their lives found this to be a new source of entertainment.

The locals, once they buy the car, are not required to get their windshields fixed because they all get broken... period.

The government was planning in '03 to create a new road from Happy Valley/Goose Bay to Cartright to by-pass the Ferry trip but were tied up in native lands claims; I don't know if they ever worked out a deal.

Another thing is the temperature; when we were there it was 90 deg + in July (unusal maybe, maybe not) and the heat plus the mosquitos darn near drove us crazy. Forget about stopping for an hour to go fishing, in fact if you can last 5 minutes, I'll eat my head net. Mind you I caught a little brook trout in that time but let him go.

There are several stops you really must make, Churchill Falls power station, Battle Harbour Island, and any chance you get to poke down a gravel road leading to a new dam site. Each fishing village is a treat and the people would honestly give you the shirt off their back.

It is best to fuel up often as the stations are generally 300 + km apart Gas is horribly expensive and was about $3.40 U.S. for a U.S. gallon 3 years ago. For fuel you should budget $500.00 U.S. from the time you hit Montreal until you leave Nova Scotia. This is extrapolated from our trip based on our cost of $400.00 Cdn 3 years ago with 30 mpg on diesel, mind you we jigged and poked around every back road along the way and I believe our vacation covered 4000 miles that year and we never left the East.

Obviously, the painless way to travel the route would be to use a car and stay at the one hotel available in each town at the end of a day's drive, but since we all belong to the "Brotherhood of Pain" as my wife calls it; we insist on traveling in our Westy. Again the towns are conveniently placed 300+ km apart,

Having said all that, I would recommend the trip as a once in a lifetime endeavour as the scenery is at times, breathtaking in it's isolation and panorama.

Take a porta-pottie and extra gas and good tires and take your time and you will have no problems. Camping along the route is wherever you want to. I recommend GoWesties back door lock/spacer bar and re-cover those butterfly screens with a finer mesh netting. Bathing is free at any one of the thousands of ponds and brooks along the way.

Watch out for moose and caribou on the roads, groceries and water are available in every town if you just ask. For a treat take the dead-end road at the bottom of Labrador heading back (West) into Quebec; taking it to the end we discovered the difference between the French and the Newfies. The Newfies, whether in Nfld. or working in Quebec were friendly... nuff said..

When you get to Newfoundland (please pronounce it "noof-und-lnd") Gros Morne park is a must (with Norris Point and Woody Point towns), as is L'anse aux Meadows, and St.Anthony at the very top of Nfld. You can forget about finding an open B&B anywhere near the ferry landing in Nfld, they are all booked up at that time of year. However, we asked one, not knowing this and the lady upon finding out we really only needed a shower, insisted we come in and use their shower. Unbelievable.

When heading down the Western coast of Nfld to the Port aux Basque Ferry to Cape Breton(Nova Scotia), take the time to explore to the East( village of Rose Blanche, and enjoy a great family restaurant) and West (the cliffs at Cape St.George) of the port. Go to the ends of the roads and I guarantee you will not regret it.

When you get to Cape Breton island (Nova Scotia) go see the fortress at Louisburg and the Coal Miners Museum, then back and counterclockwise around the Cabot Trail stopping at Meat cove at the top of Cape Breton.

Hitting the mainland of Nova Scotia if you have the time head North to Cape George point; if time is short, then head down the 104 hwy to Truro and instead of going straight to New Brunswick take the # 2 hwy to Cape d'Or and Cape Chignecto up that way.

I am from Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia and will be back there by July and would be only to glad to lead anyone in and around Nova Scotia and Cape Breton.

As far as a time frame is concerned allow 30 days from start to finish, anything faster and you'll miss the flavour altogether.

They have a different speed of life in the Maritimes and it's one I miss being here in Alberta (the Texas of Canada).

The first five pictures were taken along the route and I have many more to share for those interested.

Here's a multimap of the area.

To get a bigger picture, back out (view wise) of any location

http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=-56.88015&GridN=49 .77096&lon=-56.88015&lat=49.77096&search_result=Newfoundland&lang=&db=CA&kee picon=true&place=Newfoundland&pc=&advanced=&state=NL&addr2=&client=public&ov erviewmap=&addr3=&scale=4000000

Good Luck and perhaps we can all travel together

David (82dslwesty)

Apologies again to those on the vanagon list - but in addition to them plotting campouts in your neck of the woods, I'm trying to foment a grand excursion on the opposite side of the continent from you. So please see the forwarded email below. And if you're up for a long trip next summer, do consider it!!!! There are some people interested from the Vanagon list - though of course it's a long way away (in time, I mean), so nothing goes beyond conceptual interest at this point.

But think about starting at BusFusion, heading east from there, working our way more or less clockwise - down the St. Lawrence, then south to Baie Comeau. Then image a whole caravanagon going up the gravel road through these remote towns in Quebec and Labrador, and arriving in Happy Valley/Goose Bay. Then piling onto the ferry through Goose Bay to Cartwright and continuing down the (more gravel) road to Red Bay, where the pavement starts. Then after sixty miles of beautiful and empty road (I've actually driven this bit) we reach Quebec again, the town of Blanc Sablon, and the ferry to Newfoundland. Or for Canadians who maybe don't have enough time, they can continue along that paved road another 40 miles, and pick up the coastal ferry along the Quebec shore back to somewhere - maybe Baie Comeau again? - and then pick up the road again to drive back to Montreal or Toronto or Almonte. But me, I want to go back to Newfoundland - I'll head east and make it to St. John's in time for the Newfoundland and Labrador folk festival in early August. I was there this summer, and it was great.

Don't worry about your A/C in the summer, come to Labrador instead! It's never too hot in Labrador!

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht now living in a real house in northern Virginia and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon now living in the driveway and resting after two and a half years lugging Joy and her stuff around...

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://www.joyhecht.net

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Subject: trip through Quebec to Labrador

Hi guys,

Five days back in a house, and I'm speculating about great trips for next summer...

I'd love to drive the road that runs from Baie Comeau in Quebec north and east to Happy Valley/Goose Bay in Labrador, then take the ferry to Cartwright, then drive down to Red Bay where the pavement starts, then take the ferry back to Newfoundland.

But not alone! Not with my mechanical skills.

I've met various other people who've said they are interested in that route, and got to wondering whether it might conceivably be possible to organize a group to do it together - next summer, for instance. Hopefully with some good mechanics in the group.

Also got to wondering whether folks from the Quebec VW Club get together to do that. And whether they have a listserv.

Is anyone interested? Does anyone know if the Quebec VW Club has a listserv?

Okay, now back to work, no more daydreaming!

Joy