Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:08:45 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Was "How do we remove" now searching the archives again - long
Comments: cc: resiolute@COPPER.NET

If a person has trouble making the vanagon.com archives work, it is because she or he doesn't understand how to effectively search free form databases. They work very well for those who know how to use them. This database has powerful capabilities that let you control the search and get what you want. And what you learn in mastering them is the same type of skills that you can use effectively on many other databases.

Frequently one person says here that she or he can't find anything and another immediately gets 89 hits searching for the same information. This happens frequently when I search for something that someone else says isn't to be found in the archives. If the info can be found that quickly and easily, it isn't that hard to do. Usually I get the info in less than one or two minutes. Then I would need to start reading. Only rarely will I encounter a problem for which I cannot find information in the archives. Only rarely will the posts that come back to a inquiry in the first few hours be as good and detailed as the information you can find with 10-20 minutes of searching and reading.

However, don't get defensive. It isn't an indictment of you if you don't know how to use a free form database well, it is just something you don't know. Learn how to do it, just like you would be willing to learn how to do a new repair on your Vanagon. You can do it.

(And my continued emphasis on using the archives isn't that I "miss the point" of the interaction on this list. You can search the archives, learn something about your van's current problem and then ask questions to pin down the solution from an informed position. And, if you have some basis information from the archives, you will know which replies are wrong.)

The archives weren't designed with key words. In fact, they aren't organized in any significant way. That is what the search engine is for. That is the way most online databases are set up these days.

Mike Collum's post of a few minutes ago has some very good advice and one very critical point. Don't make the search term too specific or long because you will cause the search program to pass over many, or maybe all of the posts that have the information that you want. I'll comment on the one point where I have a different view later in the post.

Tim Demarest repeats the same points and adds some other tips that are very good. I posted some tips about searching in the last two weeks that are similar but that have a few other points I think are useful.

I disagree that the archives are a primitive database. The hardware is a constricting factor so speed is a problem. It is the downside of having the archives on one private computer. It isn't a fatal problem. See my comments on Gmail, which I think is overrated, below. But you can get your vanagon list email in Gmail and combine it and the vanagon.com archives as two ways to access the information.

The info is there for you in the archives. I find this search engine to be better than most that I use because of the ways it lets me control and refine my searches. I sure wouldn't want to see this list be on Yahoo or anything like that.

The archives are a free form database. It is just much like searching the Internet with Google, only the search engine on the archives is much more powerful, and, user friendly, if you know what you how to use it. The search engine lets you organize the search. Search systems built around keywords are becoming a thing of the past and for good reason. The judgment of the person(s) who assign the keywords will greatly limit what you retrieve with a keyword system. (See P.S. below for example and experiences from almost 30 years of doing legal research.)

The free form database will find much more for you, if you are just a tiny bit patient and know how to use it. Read the tips people are posting and have posted in the past. You have to be willing to use several search terms if that is what it takes. You have to be willing to make several searches perhaps, it isn't like going to McDonald's. At least every other week someone writes in with the complaint that he or she used a very specific search term, always way too specific, and can't find anything or much. It will happen almost every time. It is not a bad idea to start that way and hope that you hit the jackpot. But if you get little or nothing, then it is up to you to revise you search term.

With free form databases, you will usually get more results, whether posts or court decisions, or web sites via Google, than you want, but you will be more likely to not miss what you want. (I hate to throw Google in here as it gets way to much and you can't do much when you get 75k hits even with refined search terms.) But the archives are a limited database, with an extremely high percentage of post being about Vanagons, whereas Google is searching everything for any conceivable use of the words in your search term. The archives are much more "friendly" in this regard than almost any database I search.

Back to Mike's post. I do use the subject line often when I begin a search. You will miss some posts describe a problem without identifying what is broken because the original poster didn't know what was wrong. But searching the body of the messages takes much longer and results in "time outs" if you don't search backward in 6 month or similar time increments. (One of the major problems with the archive database is that so many of you contribute to exponentially swelling its size and thus search terms by sending layers of posts in a thread back with your reply. The search engine then ends up reading the same message many times and the first reply almost as many times and so on.)

If I don't get any hits from just using the subject line based search term, then I switch to putting the terms into the part of the search setup that reads through the body of the messages in the archives.

Sometimes when I search for something, it might take 5 or more searches to get the useful term or terms. Sometimes I find good information from several different terms depending on what words were being used in a particular thread. I can't understand why having to do this befuddles so many people. It is just the way good research is done on free form databases. But in the long run you can find more information.

When I know that something has been discussed repeatedly I usually can't remember what precise terms were used to describe it. I don't have that knowledge to inform my own search or to suggest to someone else if I recommend that he or she go to the archives. I save at least a dozen or more useful posts each week as text files and have hundreds in a relatively organized set of subject based folders and subfolders on my hard drive. I often send these to people and offer to share them with the list. I have less on problems I haven't encountered and more on what has impacted my various vans.

So, learn to use the archives. As I said above, you can do it.

A few people keep touting Gmail. Well that is nice for whenever you started on forward to the present, but some of the best material in the archives is from several years ago. Many list members are not going to keep writing detailed posts containing the same information over and over. Many of the most informed people have largely quit posting because they got tired of doing it over and over on the same topics. Most, but not all, of the people who criticize this reaction don't post intelligent detailed posts like many of those did.

Gmail organizes posts as threads, so does Gerry, the archive server. Gmail has advanced search options and they are very similar to those of the list search engine in appearance, but aren't as powerful. Last night, just to test Gmail, I asked Gmail to find posts in my limited inbox from Dennis Haynes and it found a post where his name was in the body and was sent by someone else. So the engine didn't do what it was told to do, a limited search of senders' names and email addresses, but rather searched the body of all the messages. This is a serious flaw which weakens its functionality in the long run when the database is large. If you can't control the search, you will not get what you want and will get too much which is the big problem with Google. This would, for example give me any post which mentioned the Haynes manual, which I didn't want. So, Gmail doesn't have a capability that it seems to have from the template for the advanced search terms. What if a username had "brake" in it and I would get back every post that contained "brake" instead on only those that had brake in the user name, when I knew that this user posted some great posts on brake repairs several years ago. I would have way too much garbage that the search engine should have been able to discard.

I often use the sender's name when I know that a person has written on a topic in a detailed knowledgeable way in the past. Why read dozen or hundreds of emails when the right answer will definitely be found in one person's posts. So to not have this as a true search controlling function is a substantial flaw.

I imagine that we will always have people who aren't willing to search for the information they need and expect it to be handed to them. I imagine that many people will continue to bloat the archives by resending one, and usually several, previous post(s) from the thread, thus slowing the archive searches greatly.

But, these archives do work and you can make them work if you learn how to use them.

Sam

P.S. - I have been doing legal research on a variety of database formats for almost 30 years and keyword systems are very limiting, even though on the surface they seem to be more friendly. Many court decisions that had important rulings about certain areas of law that weren't the main focus of the case, but that were critical in that "secondary" to the case ruling, would not get assigned to the cases to be found in searching the keywords or key system of that area of law. It would be as if the Court didn't say anything about that area of law. Some areas of law were difficult to put in a category. Were cases of Voting Rights Act violations by a municipal government about civil rights - voting rights, or did they belong in municipal government, or in election law which is about procedures for voting? Well, often they didn't end up in the Voting Rights or Civil Rights sections in the key word and key number type databases. Those systems will find you lots of info quickly, if you know the right key word or key number, but they will miss a lot. And they are very expensive to create and maintain. (How could any expect that database like this could be organized? Who would sit and read each post and somehow assign it to the keywords to which it relates? Who could pay for that? And people would still complain because they wouldn't know the key word. Or they would stick a word of no functional value like assembly on the search and miss the information.)

After telling you how to log on, use of search terms and how to conceptualize them is the first or second thing they teach in every beginning legal (or any other subject) research course. It was when I went to law school in 1977 when we only had key word systems and no computers and it remains that way now with all the free from data bases. Go to the Supreme Court, or any other court's database of its decisions (think, the Court's posts). It will be a free form database.

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.