Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:41:22 -0400
From:         David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Read your manual: Oil pressure nonsense
Comments: To: "dhaynes@optonline.net" <dhaynes@optonline.net>

Oh yeah, and I try to keep the level @ or around half on the stick... :-)

Dave

On 9/13/06, dhaynes@optonline.net <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: > > I would put that oil light acceptance right up there with "it is normal > for the lifters to clatter". That oil light is basically telling you that > the oil pressure has dropped below 3 psi. While that is at lest supplying > some lubrication, it is a sign of trouble. A healty engine should be able to > maintain close to 10 psi/1,000 rpm. > > What viscosity oil are you using and what is your fill level? 20w-50 or > synthetic 15w-50 is preferred. make sure the oil level is not too high. > Remember, the top line on the dip stick is not fill to line. The top line is > maximum do exceed not matter what line. For extended high speed travel, the > oil will stay coolest near the the lower mark to halfway. More is not > better. > > Also, the 1.9 liter engines wear out the cases where the bearings sit. > This is a common cause of low oil pressure. > > Dennis > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: David Bohannan > Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:13 pm > Subject: Read your manual: Oil pressure nonsense > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Ok, > > > > Here's another one of those instances where if I would have read > > my stinkin > > manual I wouldn't have been sweating for so long... > > > > I thought my 1.9 was wearing thin...my oil pressure light > > flickers after hot > > runs at idle...you know, when idling through toll plazas, > > etc...It never did > > it once I accelerated again, but, it did it...scared the > > poopsters out of me > > at times...hate warning lights! What's strange is that when I > > had the heads > > done the cylinder walls looked great...little or no wear...160K > > miles...gofigure...I was worrying about bad bearings or whatever.... > > > > In any case, all this towing talk lately got me looking at my > > manual for my > > 85 to see if I could find anything on towing...I did not, but I > > DID find > > this sentence: > > > > "An occasional flickering of the oil pressure warning light when > > the engine > > is idling after a long high speed trip is no cause for concern > > if the light > > goes out upon acceleration." > > > > Note to self, read the stinkin manual... > > > > Dave > > 85 GL "Baby Bus" > > 85 "Goldy" > > >

-- Dave - KC9FYM http://fjazzbass.blogspot.com