Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:37:08 -0400
From:         David Milo <dellaone@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Westy Conversion

Hi Volks,

I spent all summer transplanting a Westfalia pop top and interior from a 1982 Westy to a 1987 Syncro. We live near Pittsburgh PA.

Reasons: I own a 1987 Syncro and know it's pedigree, new front and rear suspension bushings, tie rids, axle bearings, CV joints, drive shaft joints, rebuilt tranny, Suby engine, front heater blower, ignition switch, seams POR 15'nd and seam sealed etc, OK I'll stop now, there was more. Now has 145,000 miles.

I had the opportunity to work on a 1985 Subaru / Westy in early April, and fell in love with the design. I'm not a wealthy person, so buying a 20K Westy was out of the question, let alone a 12K one.

I found a 1982 air-cooled Westy that was dead from the waist down. Lots of rust covered by patches and tape, rusted out clutch hydraulic line, and brake lines soon to follow. Engine and tranny unknown. The mileage was whatever you wanted it to be, as tapping on the instrument pod cover would produce different results, 80,000 here, 636,000 there.

I knew how to weld with an oxygen-acetylene torch, but also knew that metal distortion would result. I looked into MIG welding with gas back-up, and decided I could do it / learn it. Would TIG have been better, a resounding yes, but I couldn't afford the time or money to learn.

So with all that said, have a look at these pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/jetstar5224

No matter if you think that this was a travesty involving two Vanagons or wondered how to try to go about it, these pictures add to the database of possibilities, good or bad.

For us, it has given this old seven passenger Syncro a new purpose, one that we are getting reacquainted with.

Cheers,

Dave Milo

P.S. This is not a step by step compendium, but a chronicle of my experience. Hopefully it will serve some good purpose.