Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 23:16:29 -0400
From:         David Milo <dellaone@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Conversion
Comments: To: Rob <becida@comcast.net>

Hi Rob,

The HF welder is actually not a bad unit. Remember that I'm not a welder by any stretch, but a guy that is and who gave me a bit of pre-installation instruction, said he liked it just fine. That said, welding in the seat swivel pans (which I did after) was a whole lot easier than welding the thinner roof skin. I've started using it for other things (shortened oil pan), now that I have become more comfortable with it's operation. Using the gas back-up (CO2 / Argon) works much better than flux core wire in this application. If I had used TIG, (I have seen TIG used, dynamite welds), I would have had a lot less grinding to do.

The Preval units are very nice. I got two uses out of each propellant canister, refilling the glass container in between. We went through 4 Preval units (8 refills), and 2 cans of prepackaged clearcoat. For spraybomb, its not that bad.

Cheers,

Dave

On 9/13/06, Rob <becida@comcast.net> wrote: > > At 9/13/2006 05:37 PM, David Milo wrote: > >Hi Volks, > > > >I spent all summer transplanting a Westfalia pop top and interior from a > >1982 Westy to a 1987 Syncro. We live near Pittsburgh PA. > > > > > >I knew how to weld with an oxygen-acetylene torch, but also knew that > metal > >distortion would result. I looked into MIG welding with gas back-up, and > >decided I could do it / learn it. Would TIG have been better, a > resounding > >yes, but I couldn't afford the time or money to learn. > > > >So with all that said, have a look at these pictures: > >http://photos.yahoo.com/jetstar5224 > > Great pictures & a good job, thanks for sharing that. > A couple of quick questions. > How did the HF welder work out & how many of the paint sprayer > pressure cartridges did you use? > > > > > Rob > > becida@comcast.net > Western Washington State, USA >