Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:35:04 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: adding central locking
Comments: To: Mark McCulley <markmcculley@gmail.com>

On 9/13/06, Mark McCulley <markmcculley@gmail.com> wrote: > > How difficult is it to add central locking to a van that does not have it? > Would an 87GL have the necessary wiring? > > -Mark >

I just added power windows, mirrors, and locks to the front doors of my Doublecab. Fortunately for me, I do not have any sliding doors or rear hatch on this vehicle so less wiring. You have the harvest the wiring harness for all the options. For the front doors will also require the wiring for the speakers. The harness for that goes up the A-pillar. I simply cut mine off as I did not have any need for the rear speakers for my application. Don't forget to figure out which wire goes on the rear defroster for the power mirrors defrosters. I highly recommend you take the whole fuse block from the donor if possible so you can just move the relays straight across to the existing circuits.

I was showing off my conversion at Van-O-Rama. I intentionally left out the wiring so people who are interested can see how it all came together. It seemed easy enough to get it all the way I did it. I think it would be very difficult if you do not have wiring experience and have to do it with a box of wires. I was fortunate to have the donor on hand. I also got one hell of a score on the parts. The shop parting out the van did not want to hassle with the doors. They already had too many spares and this van had to go to the crusher the next day. So whole door less power mirrors was $25 for both!!! All wiring free if I take it all out. In exchange I also had to remove the power mirrors w/o cutting the connectors so they can resell them. My total time to get those connectors out was 12 minutes for both doors. Definitely worth it. Taking the three harnesses out that I need for my conversion took about two hours. Of course, I was using the removal as a learning tool. Best way to learn how to reinstall them. Now that I know how to take them out, I would probably better off buying from some of the guys on this list like Chris who have all this stuff already taken out of the van. I can imagine how much more work the rear hatch and sliders are after what I had to go through. Nevertheless, I wish I would have done it sooner.

BenT