Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Sep 2006 04:13:22 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      does your van spew gas all over the side from the filler neck
              when u fill up?
Comments: cc: vanagon@yahoogroups.com

when you top off your gas tank at the gas pump, does your '80-'87 vanagon spew gas all out the filler neck and down the side of your van?

the 88-91 vanagons have a redesigned filler neck with a float ball at the bottom, which prevents the gas from backwashing up the filler neck and out all over the side of your van.. when you top off, the float ball rises with the level of gas and seals off the filler neck so no gas can backwash up it. the 80-87 vanagons have no float ball. just an open hole into the tank.

i have added the late model 88-91 filler neck to my '84 sunroof van and my '85 doublecab, and my 86 westy (since sold) which all had the fuel backing up out the filler neck problem, and it solved the problem when i added the late model filler neck. no more mess, no more embarassment and hazard at the fuel pump with a big puddle of gas on the ground, and no more sneakers soaked with stinky gasoline that i had to smell for the rest of the drive :<).

this is a big improvement..especially everytime i travel in NJ, where you cannot pump your own gas, and the tank monkeys like to shove every last drop into your tank that they can..

its a direct replacement..easy install.. just remove the 3 phillips screws at the top of the neck ring, and then turn the round plastic filler neck trim piece about an inch either clockwise or counterclockwise (its held into the body with "teeth") to unlock it, and the whole filler neck just slides out of the tank.

i have 2 of these late model filler necks with float balls, if anyone is interested, p-mail me..

chris