Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:23:31 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: CENTral locking funny ...
Comments: To: Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Zoltan,

Look for a thread started from a question by Tom Forhan, on either this list or the syncro@yahoogroups list sometime in the last 6 or so months.

I think he had a similar problem. Or you can search for power lock in the subject line in the last year.

Also attached are two files about power lock repair. Didn't re-read them so don't know if they address your particular problem. They are both from recent months so they may have the response.

I am so tired from having to add the list address to this email. It was a major struggle. :<)

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.

- Brent Weide wrote:

> It's one of the many common ailments in the vanagons, > afflicting mostly those with power locks.

yeah, that'd be me.

> There is a very small spring which serves to keep > the sliding door lock button from allowing gravity > to let it slip down and lock. ... > Remove the small black plastic cap from the sliding > door lock button. Cut a short (about 1/4") piece of > plastic tubing and slide it over the lock button shaft. ... > gives it enough friction not to slide down on it's own.

sounds good but in my case there's a whole lot more than gravity keeping my door locked. it feels like a spring is pulling that black knob down, and friction probably isn't going to hold it up. too bad, sounds like a really good idea.

are new lock assemblies prohibitively expensive? looks like i might have to rip into the lock assembly, which sounds like an adventure.

thanks for the help! m.

Tom,

I went through the same bafflement until I took a complete harness, two servos, and a battery and ran the system spread out in the driveway.

What I discovered was that the white and yellow wires have to have continuity. If you have new wires, it's still a good idea to do continuity testing .

Current is passed back and forth between the 2 masters (Driver and passaenger servo) and drom the passneger rear-ward.

Any break in the white and yellow wires affects opening or closing. they will either all open and not stay locked, or they will all lock and not stay open.

Or, if water is in the servos, they will open and close over and over again .

Since you have new servos, it's possible that your drivers one is not a master-or the power (red wire ) or the ground (brown ) is broken .

Usually I find thew white or yellow wires broken and green corroded at the break, perhaps at the low point where water settles.

Future problem prevention? Keep the power mirrors as they have a larger surface than the non-power, and a better rear view . you can manually adjust them(I just added a pair). Use dielectric grease at all wire terminals.

Power door locks are nice , I have wanted to install them on my 82 for the last 12 years.

As been told here before it is a dumb system. One servo sends a power signal to the others and their motors run until the switches inside touch another set of contacts.

Then when the lock is turned the opposite , the contacts are energized in switched polarity and the motor runs in reverse direction until the original set of contacts are reached. When the new set of contacts is reached, the cam inside leaves contact with the old.

It's defintely much more easier to understand testing outside the vehicle .

Robert

1982 Westfalia