Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Sep 2006 11:35:49 -0100
From:         Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Opening Pandora's box

Hey Folks, As of 3:30 yesterday afternoon, I am officially a Vanagon (Westy) owner again, #8 in VW buses ranging from a '67 Splitty to the recently purchased '84. It was delivered via tow truck since the engine appears to be locked up due to the PO running it VERY low on oil. I gave it it's first bath in God knows how long, and cleaned up the interior which now looks like new. The exterior is in great shape too. The irony is it is the exact twin the last '84 Vanagon Westy i owned, which was Ivory with brown interior, although no a/c in this one, which is fine with me.The owner of the shop ( Mark 1 VW in Walkersville, MD) where the PO had it was the one who towed it to my house, seems like a pretty nice guy. He gave me the list of options that he had given the PO for engine replacement.They are 1) used 1.9 engine for $1775.00 with no warranty 2) install used 2.0 engine for $6,000.00 and 3) install new Tiico conversion for $8,000.00. Add to that list 4) finding a used 1.9 that someone has pulled to do a conversion and 5) order the 2.1 long block from Bus Depot.I'm tempted to just start tearing down the current engine, after all,. what have I got to lose? I'd like to hear from others what route they've taken when in this situation. I know this is one of those questions that can start a flame war. I also know of the Subaru conversion, but not sure I want to go that route, and I not too seriously suggested the other day that I was considering sticking a Corvair engine in it, since I have 2 Corvair engines in my garage. Back to the Vanagon-as I sat in yesterday I remember what I loved about Vanagons-damn they're BIG inside compared to a Bay! I really think this was the best of all Westfalia's VW ever built in terms of size and layout. When I sold my last '84 a few years ago I swore I'd never buy another Vanagon again, and I bought a '75 Westy, which I still have. I found this one on Craigslist Thursday, and it seemed like too good a deal to pass up.I guess you could say it's technically a one owner, as the original owner passed away and left it to his granddaughter, and I purchased it from her and her husband, who admitted he knows nothing about cars and was driving it at the time it "ran out of oil". they gave me a few receipts from the Goodyear service center where they had been having it worked on-HUGE mistake. Would you believe $575.00 for 4 new shocks? I haven't even looked to what brand they are, but I'm sure they're cheap ones (in terms of quality, that is). I've rambled on enough, here is a link to some pictures of my Vanagon:

http://www.geocities.com/vw_vanman75/vanagon.html?1158460801656?200617

It's a Yahoo! geocities page, so it will only take so many hits before it shuts down for a while.