Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:41:22 -0500
From:         Marion Lathem <resiolute@COPPER.NET>
Subject:      !985 Vanagon radiator leak.

As you know I have been restoring a 1985 Vanagon GL. It's coming along great, been lots of rough spots.. and now it's another rough spot. Back some winter one of the coolant pipes froze and burst. I fixed that, now I had noticed a drip out of the passenger side of the radiator. I pulled it off, and found on the lower passenger side brass that folds over to clamp the plastic end tank... there is a 4 inch split/crack right in the bend. I used Goop, Automotive sealant, then I realized, there would likely be no pressure on the fingers holding the plastic end tank. Is my only option to take the end tank off, silphos, or brass weld the crack then put it back together, or is there another way I haven't thought of...too long for stop leak...plus that's not a permanent fix in my book..?

Second problem, as you know I hooked the fan wire to the ignition circuit, the fan motor runs all the time now. I took the fan thermostat, three pin white screw in... checked voltage at a bit over 12 volts coming into the center pin. Checking the fan thermostat, which must be a two speed, no pins are closed... all three are open...? So how is the 12 volts getting to the Radiator fan motor.. to make it run when it looks like it should be off until the temp is up right to turn it on..? What am I missing here..? Lyle Lathem 1985 Vanagon GL Quinlan, TX... no others around.... anywhere...I have seen....?