Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:37:21 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: that little pilot bearing
Comments: To: vw.bus@mac.com

yah it goes against my logic to insert bearing as you suggest, and goes against my feeble memory of how it came out.

Actually, when looking at the bearing, the part of the bearing cage that I gently destroyed while removing, is actually the lettered side as you wrote. Since I used a homemade puller, I assumed the damaged bit was at rear as I was trying to keep puller bit (washer) at inside end of bearing during removal. Likely was at front as puller bit probably moved forward and grabbed what it could. (yah. Like it has a mind of its' own. Sheesh!)

Actually maybe it's meant to be installed with flat side toward front of van so that any grease in there will tend to be kept in.

I dunno... ;)

Thanks for info!

Neil.