Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:53:04 -0400
From:         Helmut Blong <helmut.blong@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Snorkels Rule

I watched the vid again and had supposed the snorkel was concealed within. But the first Syncro appears to have something on that right rear quarter. Ladder? Dunno.

I wondered if having the snorkel within the air column poses any risks if leaks. I guess it's not near any fresh air, interior intake?

Yes the second Syncro appears to be bubbling on the left side. That is what I found amazing - that it could successfully keep out the water if in fact it was a submerged tailpipe.

mordo

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@verizon.net> Date: Sep 15, 2006 5:01 PM Subject: Re: Snorkels Rule To: Helmut Blong <helmut.blong@gmail.com>

Helmet,

The stock snorkel can't be seen from the outside. It runs up inside the column located at the right rear corner of the van where the intake air is gathered on all vanagons. There is also a part in the intake that will collect water to keep it from going in the intake, although I imagine that it has its limits.

The second van did seem to have lots of bubbling coming out on its left side, which is unusual if it had a stock engine as the exhaust would be exiting on the right. Perhaps it is a conversion with the exhaust exiting on the left.

But if water was getting in the intake it wouldn't have come out running so smoothly.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside 85 Westy Weekender 85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil powered

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.