Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:39:29 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: More Gas Leak
Comments: To: Gerald Masar <azsun99@earthlink.net>

For me it isn't about how "hard" the job is, it is about the time; so I tend to do the whole thing at once rather than taking it apart repeatedly.

I love my van, but I can't spend all my time working on it. Somehow when I was younger I had more time to take apart cars for fun..........

On 9/24/06, Gerald Masar <azsun99@earthlink.net> wrote: > > Actually, I pretty much agree with you, but last year when I dropped the > tank on my > '88 to fix the overflow-on-fillup, I found the right-side 'y' piece broken > completely. > I had the repair kit, so installed the new parts. Later, I did attempt to > epoxy the > broken 'y'. Even shaped a small piece of copper tube to fit inside as > reinforcement. > Everything looked solid, but it only took a little force for it to come > apart again. > You are also right about the job not being "that hard", but as I get on in > years (67 > soon), any job requiring lying on my back on hard concrete under the van > gets harder > :). > Jerry > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Mike Bucchino" <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 8:00 PM > Subject: Re: More Gas Leak > > > > I looked at mine the other day due to spilling apon filling up and > crap > > getting into the tank. My 84 GL has over 230K miles, is 23 yrs old and > this > > crossover tube appears to look as good as new. It's made of a material > that > > should last longer than the vehicle. Absolutely no deterioration and > still > > in service. My leak was a cracked "Y" that this tube connects to and go > > into a rubber grommet-type seal on top of the tank. I epoxied the > y-fitting > > and wrappped it with that self-sealing silicon tape for added insurance. > > All is well now. > > BTW, the internal fuel pick-up is plumbed with the same black plastic > > tubing as the crossover pipe, and also looked excellent. (flashlight > and > > inspection mirror). People write about these pieces crumbling to bits, > but > > I find it hard to believe after close inspection of mine. "Just go > ahead > > and do it", seems like cheap advice, expensive to accomplish. A > thoughtful > > mechanic looks at everything "with a jaundiced eye" (according to John > > Muir!), and only replaces what is necessary. When someone says, "just > do it > > anyway", they're helping spend your hard-earned money for you. I > usually > > err on the side of caution, especially when the job is unpleasant and > very > > involved to have to do over again. This job isn't that bad, trust > me. Now, > > if it was a syncro tank (or early bus), that required the engine and/or > > transmission to be removed before you could access the tank, things > might be > > very different. Take all advice with a grain of salt, even this! > > > > Mike B. > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Gerald Masar" <azsun99@earthlink.net> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 8:41 PM > > Subject: Re: More Gas Leak > > > > > > >I would replace the crossover tube if for no other reason than one > never > > >knows how > > > much longer some of these highly specialized parts are going to be > > > available. > > > Jerry > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > > From: "mad madeline" <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM> > > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > > Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 4:31 PM > > > Subject: More Gas Leak > > > > > > > > >> Well, the gas leak ended up being the gas smell on filling the > tank.... > > >> to now > > > include a leaking injector or leaking fuel rail on the passenger side. > > > Not finished > > > diagnosing that one yet. So, now we're into pulling the tank, > replacing > > > the lines > > > here there and everywhere... both at the tank and down to and through > the > > > engine. > > >> Finally ordered a Bently manual today and have been researching all > the > > >> parts > > > needed and people's recommended proceedures posted on the web. > > >> > > >> My question is: how often does the crossover pipe need > replacing? Is > > >> it a really > > > good idea to replace it just because the tank is off and its > accessable, > > > or because > > > they really fail? Madeline > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> --------------------------------- > > >> Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! > Small > > >> Business. > > >> > > >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com