Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:30:10 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Speedo needle removal

A pair of curved-jaw haemostats from a doctors' suture kit is my tool oof choice for this job. They allow you to keep even pressure on both sides of the shaft, and get some lift only on the center hub of the needle. A small set of jewelers needle nose may be easier to find, and will work quite well also. A sheet of paper with a slit cut in it, and slid up to the shaft also helps keep unwanted scrapes and marks from the instrument face.

The neatest trick I saw for this is to put a piece of clear tape on the needle before startin to pry at it. The only purpose of the tape is to destroy the aerodynamics of the needle, and make sure it does not fly very far! If the tape you have is really sticky, reduce the sticky by putting the tape on the back of your hand first. Too much sticky will peel the paint from the needle. Please don't ask...

Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: Be careful doing this as the "shaft" the needle is mounted can break at the base of the needle when prying the needle off. I changed tachs so I could mount 7K, white face gauges and so that's my "experience" doing this. Also changed the speedo to white face.

I slid needle nose pliers under the base of the needle, between the needle and gauge face. Pried the needle up and off, VERY carefully. Even pressure up is the key. Almost any side pressure can break the shaft. I had to get another tach as I broke one shaft doing this. I imagine you could use two flat blade screw drivers, one on each side of the base of the needle, then pry up equally at the same time. Keep your eyes open for where the needle lands. It may literally "fly" off.

Good luck.

Bob