Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:49:41 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Minor clutch rant/lessons learned.......(long)

So here I am. First time removing a Vanagon tranny.

At one point in my life, I did my own work maintaining my cars, learning and living the whole time, but it has been a long time since then. Now I have to wonder if I should be doing this....... ;)

Inbetween helping bro with renos on new place and waiting for parts for clutch housing, I manage to rebuild my clutch housing and perform various other work on my van. No real issues except for tapping new threads for pivot bolt. So now it's time to get the tranny back in.

Cut to.....

Me. On my back or side, uttering cursory curses under my breath (children within earshot) while wrestling tranny onto jack in a confined space. Finally I balance that act, and launch into a highly modified Jane Fonda/Suzanne Sommers Thigh Master workout, trying to guide the tranny while pumping up floor jack with right leg. Quickly I give up quiet cursing and use my "OUTSIDE VOICE" to cuss (children will learn those words some day....), manage to get tranny onto engine, put on a couple bolts, and bolt the forward tranny mount to frame. Now comes the funny part. Har har har!

Prior to doing all this, I questioned whether or not there were washers on bolts holding clutch assembly onto flywheel. "Well of course there are" I thought. So I look at the Haynes manual..... no washers shown. "huh" ...... "ok". No washers with bolts in parts tray. So on goes clutch assembly and tranny.

Then, while cleaning up/hiding tools in van, I find one of my parts containers which amongst other things contains 6 washers. &!!#$%!!!!!! ...... "flip flip" through Bentley....... $$#!@*&!!! You know the rest.

Lessons learned? Consult more than one manual if available. Keep related parts with each other. Trust your instincts/memory. i.e. at the time, I remembered using washers on various cars for clutches. Why not on a Vanagon?? Now I have to get back under, do the modified work out, twice, and try not to scare people with my tranny tourrette tantrum.

The upside? Well at least I realized there were washers missing. Even with Loctite, those bolts may not have stayed in ...... yeesh.

Cheers,

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

TUBA TUNE OF THE DAY!

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil/iWeb/Site%205/Tuba%20tune.html