Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:56:52 -0400
From:         Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      My "New" '84 Westy

I've officially been a Vanagon Westy owner (for the 2nd time) one week today. The shop where my new toy was sitting towed it to my house last Saturday. To recap, last Thursday morning I was looking on Craigslist when for some strange reason I typed "Vanagon" in the search bar (don't know why, I wasn't really looking for a Vanagon) and up popped 3 listings in the Washington DC area. One was for an '84 with a tale of woe about how the engine had quit on the owner and it was discovered that...it had no oil! They had it towed to a VW shop where it was determined that the engine has become one solid chunk of metal. It was a one owner Westy until the owner passed away two years ago leaving it to his granddaughter. She and her husband had taken it camping a few times. Anyway, the couple didn't want to spend any money on it, so the put it up for sale as is, for $1,400.00. I sent the seller an email asking if it was still available, but I wasn't too hopeful since the ad was several days old. AN hour or so later I get a reply that, yes, it is still available and the location of the shop where it is sitting. I reply that I would get up there Friday or Saturday to take a look at it. However, leaving work that afternoon I decided to go look at it right away. When I found the shop and the Westy, it took me about a minute to decide that I was going to buy it. I called the seller and told him I would bring him the cash Friday after work, which I did. Since the title was in his wife's name, she had to sign it over. We fill out the title information, and I'm about ready to leave their house when I look closely at the title-it's for a 2002 PT Cruiser! She finds the correct title, we fill it all out again and I'm on my way. Saturday after the Westy is delivered, I spend a couple of hours going through it. It is an excellent condition, inside and out. Sure, it's got a few scratches here and there, but in damn nice shape for a 22 year old vehicle. The original owner had picked it up in Germany, drove it around then shipped it to the states. Under the rear seat I found a first aid kit-never opened-everything printed in German. Also found one of those triangular roadside reflectors, also all the printing in German. Hooked up AC power to the side and turned on the fridge-2 hours later it's starting to get cold. Pop the top, canvas is great shape, only one small 2" tear in the bug screen, but typical mold spots on the roof. Pop top rubber seals are shot, but hell, compared to what I've had to replace on other Westy's, that's nothing. Interior cabinets look like new. Stove still has some of the blue shrink wrap. Front privacy curtain still there, as are some of the side curtains, but some curtain panels are made of brown corduroy on one side and another fabric on the other, and totally light blocking. The rear bug screen is there and in good shape. Tires/shocks/exhaust all recent. Only issue is the engine, which I have not really had time to get into. I have been looking at all the engine conversions,Tiico,Subaru, and Zetec. But, so far, I'm kind of leaning toward going with a Boston Bob 2.1. BTW, thanks to everyone who emailed me last week with engine suggestions. I will be at John Brown's Buses in the '75, but I hope to be driving the Vanagon to Everybus 2007. Jeff

'74 Super Beetle Conv '75 Westy '84 Westy

Jeff Stewart fonman4277@earthlink.net EarthLink Revolves Around You.