Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:26:44 +0000
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: installing new luggage rack seals
Comments: To: John Graham <theklube@GMAIL.COM>

I had a similar problem - I think the replacement seals are not as thick. (Particulalry if you seat the fiberglass edge all the way into the seal.

My solution was simply to pull the seal down a little - just enough to insure a good connection to the roof.

Problem solved.

Todd '88 Westy

Let me tell you it is unnerving when the vibration hits as it is LOUD. You have images of pieces of the pop top being ripped off and flying off the van.

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: John Graham <theklube@GMAIL.COM> > Joy, > > I followed a procedure similar to what Chris recommended several years ago > and the only thing that I can add is that to make sure I had the luggage > rack firmly settled down where it should be when I rescrewed it to the > supports, I had my wife sit in the luggage rack. She's a 'normal' sized > lady and hey, maybe I could have sat up there and put the screws in myself > (oh that didn't sound right), but I didn't. > > In spite of having weight in the rack when it was reattached, the first time > I had the van out on the highway I got this tremendous vibration at 50mph > from the edge of the top rattling against the roof. I tried reseating the > rack, but ended up running a line of black electrical tape around the front > edge of the seal. That worked. And by the time the tape started to peal > 6-9 months later, I guess enough crud had filtered down through the drain > holes which I didn't fill that I don't have the rattle any more. As I > recall, I used seals from BD and I think the rattle I encountered was the > installer's problem. > > Good Luck, it's an easy repair - YMMV > > John Graham > 88 Westy > Charlotte NC