Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:37:10 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: Digi- WHAT ??
Comments: To: annasan1@COMCAST.NET

In a message dated 9/27/06 10:51:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, annasan1@COMCAST.NET writes:

> Ok, so this is probably a newbie question but I still consider myself a > bit green over past 18mos (& not cuz I'm Irish!) But what is a digifan or > digijet??? This thread has been slipping into recent conversation and I feel > left in the dust! Or is it some super-technoid stuff? I did take advice of > re: problems with ignition, battery, starting & misfiring .... and my VW > guy (Always V-Dub in Portland OR !) did the fix for a very small am't of $$; he > did say my '86 2.1L has a digifan and it was too bad I didn't get the '85 > .... but I'm not sure what he meant - my brain hyper speeds away when talk gets > too technical - my problem had been an after market attempt at cruise > control. The system was non-functioning but the wires had corroded and were doing > bad things to my good ignition wires. That fix plus a new battery fixed up ol' > Blue Mongrel just fine..... headed to OR coast this w/e and to Leavenworth > in northern WA following w/e .... so, again - what is digi-something? is th > e digifan not good? why? and can I change to the other? and why??? - > Thanx all . . . . . > > -- > ~ ~ Anna Quinn-Smith > Portland OR >

digifant (there is a T at the end) and digijet are both bosch fuel injection systems that vw used. digijet was used 85 down, and digifant was used 86 up. presumably the digifant gets better fuel economy, but its not much. the digifant seems to be more tempermental and the ECU's can be problematic, but i wouldnt bother swapping your entire fuel injection system over.. that would be a huge job, not worth the gain.