Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Oct 2006 03:55:31 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shake down trip and engine bucking
Comments: To: mad madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM>

Dear Mad,

Before starting to dismantle things try these two tests.

Disconnect your Idle Stabilizer Valve by removing the clip at the end of the valve. There is a spring there that you must depress while pulling the clip, but it comes off easy. Now make a test run and put your van through it's paces. If that action does not clear up the problem, go to the next step.

Leave the Idle Stabilizer Valve disconnected for the time being. Disconnect the O2 sensor. Follow the wire from the sensor back to a junction about 12 to 18 inches from the sensor and separate the connectors. Now drive the van and put it through its paces.

These two things are the most frequent cause of the symptoms you are having, but certainly not the only cause. Could be a miriade of other things. But eliminate these two, and if things don't get better, then move on to other possible causes and test them.

Check the hose from the crankcase vent pipe on top of the engine over to the AFM. That hose will rot out on the underside, develop holes and then you will have a vacuum leak, which will cause rough or intermittent rough running. Other vacuum line leaks also can cause rough or intermittant rough running as well.You might have AFM problems or throttle switch problems, but I doubt it.

How do I know all these little things?? BTDT!!

One big caution - if you have not already done this - before you drive anymore whatsoever, replace ALL the fuel lines in the engine compartment. EVERY SINGLE ONE including the short fuel injector hoses. DO NOT take anyones word for it that it was done. "Oh, sometime back!" Vanagons have a notorious history of engine fires destroying the vehicles. Notorious!! So I cannot emphasize fuel line replacement enough. Your 87 van is 19 years old. Treat the fuel lines as such. Change them. Then put the cooling hoses on the list to be done next. Frequently inspect the fuel lines for chafing and rubbing. That can make a hole in a fuel line and that too, could lead to a fire. That's a serious no-no!

One last thing, IMHO, fuel lines need changing every five years max. Water hoses are not quite so critical, but if they are unknown, then it's time to change, and change the tranny oil every two years - it will extend the life of the tranny. I use Redline MT 90 and it is sweet. Tranny shifts so much better.

Good hunting.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

mad madeline wrote: > Well, we finally took the first trip in the new-to-us westie. Even the license plate arrived two days before. Everything worked great, though we have yet to fill with propane and test that system (we were warned of "issues" by PO).. Just used an ice box and outdoor stove. It felt soooo good to be back in a comfortable vehicle that works! > > We noticed when we bought it that it always runs rough climbing through the gears from standing through 2nd it does baby bucking. Takes a lot of clutch to get there. Giving it gas does not necessarily make it accelerate - it reaches a certain point and flattens out till you get into 3rd. Once into 3rd its fine. WE drove it home from LA to PHoenix on the hottest day of the year and it was smooth sailing all the way. On this trip it started doing the bucking trick not long after we left the house, and of course intermittently and, mostly on steep hill climbs... though a couple times on the flat. > > I have been reading previous posts about the "vanagon syndrome". I'm intriqued that desert climates evoke the syndrome more. We had this happen with another westie in WA. Darrell's shop somehow eliminated the problem. But on this vehicle, I can't quite make my mind up if we have two separate issues (take off vs. once acceleration is reached), or the symptoms are one and the same. This weekend we're going to test the air flow meter, and likely install the capacator trick. So we'll see if that solves at least part of the issue or all of it, or maybe none of it! What's there to loose?. > > Mad Madeline > '87 Westie > Milko 3 > > > > > --------------------------------- > Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out. > > >