Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Oct 2006 04:57:34 -0700
From:         bob bob <heymrpep@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shake down trip and engine bucking
Comments: To: mad madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM>

is it bucking or is it a banging? your symptoms sound similar to mine previously... get the engine going and a lot or vibe and noise... changed the engine mounts and haven't had any issues in low gear or hills since. if they are original you might want to give it a consideration....real easy change on my 84 westy!

peace don p carolina ri

mad madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM> wrote: Well, we finally took the first trip in the new-to-us westie. Even the license plate arrived two days before. Everything worked great, though we have yet to fill with propane and test that system (we were warned of "issues" by PO).. Just used an ice box and outdoor stove. It felt soooo good to be back in a comfortable vehicle that works!

We noticed when we bought it that it always runs rough climbing through the gears from standing through 2nd it does baby bucking. Takes a lot of clutch to get there. Giving it gas does not necessarily make it accelerate - it reaches a certain point and flattens out till you get into 3rd. Once into 3rd its fine. WE drove it home from LA to PHoenix on the hottest day of the year and it was smooth sailing all the way. On this trip it started doing the bucking trick not long after we left the house, and of course intermittently and, mostly on steep hill climbs... though a couple times on the flat.

I have been reading previous posts about the "vanagon syndrome". I'm intriqued that desert climates evoke the syndrome more. We had this happen with another westie in WA. Darrell's shop somehow eliminated the problem. But on this vehicle, I can't quite make my mind up if we have two separate issues (take off vs. once acceleration is reached), or the symptoms are one and the same. This weekend we're going to test the air flow meter, and likely install the capacator trick. So we'll see if that solves at least part of the issue or all of it, or maybe none of it! What's there to loose?.

Mad Madeline '87 Westie Milko 3

--------------------------------- Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out.

--------------------------------- Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small Business.