Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:46:17 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shake down trip and engine bucking
Comments: To: mad madeline <mac10wv@YAHOO.COM>

Madeline - just last week I went through a round of this bucking, missing business. Found a spark plug wire loose at the plug end on the right front (front of vehicle) cylinder - the most difficult one to get to. Make sure all plug wires are secure.

As a result of my experience I would suggest that you pull the plug wire from the plug then put it back on to re-seat it. so you personally can feel the connection occur and have a sense of the security of it. You might do the same with the distributor end.

That is what it is all about with these vehicles. When you know, you know. And there is a sense of security that comes with that. Then you are not traveling with that 'What's gonna happen next?' feeling, but instead the more secure feeling of "Well, that won't happen again anytime soon"! You will "know" your vehicle and have some trust in it's reliability.

Regards,

John Rodgers

mad madeline wrote: > Interesting. We will be be looking for little issues like this. The po had new coil, ox sen., wires, plugs, dist cap and rotor, and new catalitic converter installed the week before we bought it to pass smog. MM > > Zoltan <zolo@foxinternet.net> wrote: Once I only had to wipe the graphite dust out of the distr. cap. It let > some of the sparks jump around inside it and did the bucking for me. > And other time it was the spark plug wiring jumping sparks all over. > Zoltan > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "mad madeline" > To: > Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 9:19 PM > Subject: Shake down trip and engine bucking > > > >> Well, we finally took the first trip in the new-to-us westie. Even the >> license plate arrived two days before. Everything worked great, though we >> have yet to fill with propane and test that system (we were warned of >> "issues" by PO).. Just used an ice box and outdoor stove. It felt soooo >> good to be back in a comfortable vehicle that works! >> >> We noticed when we bought it that it always runs rough climbing through >> the gears from standing through 2nd it does baby bucking. Takes a lot of >> clutch to get there. Giving it gas does not necessarily make it >> accelerate - it reaches a certain point and flattens out till you get into >> 3rd. Once into 3rd its fine. WE drove it home from LA to PHoenix on the >> hottest day of the year and it was smooth sailing all the way. On this >> trip it started doing the bucking trick not long after we left the house, >> and of course intermittently and, mostly on steep hill climbs... though a >> couple times on the flat. >> >> I have been reading previous posts about the "vanagon syndrome". I'm >> intriqued that desert climates evoke the syndrome more. We had this >> happen with another westie in WA. Darrell's shop somehow eliminated the >> problem. But on this vehicle, I can't quite make my mind up if we have >> two separate issues (take off vs. once acceleration is reached), or the >> symptoms are one and the same. This weekend we're going to test the air >> flow meter, and likely install the capacator trick. So we'll see if that >> solves at least part of the issue or all of it, or maybe none of it! >> What's there to loose?. >> >> Mad Madeline >> '87 Westie >> Milko 3 >> >> >> >> >> --------------------------------- >> Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. Check it out. >> >> >> -- >> No virus found in this incoming message. >> Checked by AVG Free Edition. >> Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.12.11/460 - Release Date: >> 2006.10.01. >> >> >> > > > > > --------------------------------- > Do you Yahoo!? > Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail. > > >