Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:54:04 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel in California and what I really want.
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@knology.net>

Harold Kiesewetter put a TDI in his van, along with a 4.14 Ring & Pinion, but he stayed with the 4 speed. It works really well! He doesn't need to shift as often because of the amount of torque the motor puts out, and the longer overall gearing.

Jake

On 10/4/06, Jim Felder <felder@knology.net> wrote: > > You should also post this to the Yahoo! Diesel Vanagon list. I'm sure > somebody there has done it. > > Jim > > > On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Steven Johnson wrote: > > > Hey all, > > > > Some of you know me from way back when and I pipe > > up from time to time. But that is irrelevant. > > > > For some time now I've been pondering an engine > > replacement as my 1990/91 Westy approaches 200,000 > > miles. I've read good things about the Subaru and > > good things about the TDI and other diesel trans- > > plants. Ideally my preference would be some kind > > of hybrid with an automatic transmission but I > > think, at best, that that is out of the question > > and financially un-reachable. And wouldn't I > > like to have an SVX or Porsche 6 cylinder pushing > > my box at 80+ mph down the interstate and watch > > my travel times shorten substantially. > > > > But yesterday, I spoke with one of the California > > Smog BAR representatives that was their most > > experienced gurus on engine replacement. I was > > pleasantly suprised to hear from him that California > > did indeed allow for diesel conversions still as > > long as it was a newer engine for light class trucks > > or cars. Now this is still a bit premature for me > > to celebrate, but it sure sounds promising. He gave > > me a number for a referee to discuss specifics if > > and when I needed to. > > > > So what I'm getting at here is that I feel that I'm > > going to be able to do this transplant and not get > > dinged by the referee when I go to get an inspection. > > This is very contrary from what I've been reading > > about on this list about diesels in Calfornia. Has > > anyone on the list actually done a recent conversion > > in CA and survived the smog inquisition? > > > > Now beyond that, I'd really like to have a TDI trans- > > plant with an automatic transmission. Traffic is > > just getting too annoying with a standard tranny and > > I'd really like to give my left calf and foot a break. > > > > I know there was some discussion about this a few > > moons ago and that there was some expensive gear > > that had to be installed to make up for the difference > > in the ratios. Was there a group purchase? Has > > there been any successful completed projects with > > automatic transmissions mated to a diesel TDI? > > > > Thanks for letting me ramble... > > > > Steven > > > > > > __________________________________________________ > > Do You Yahoo!? > > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > > http://mail.yahoo.com > > >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com