Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Oct 2006 19:56:12 -0700
From:         BA <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: camping accessories?

Hi,

We're not buying one because we have a similar Century stove that doens't yet need to be replaced. But we have our eyes on this ...

2 Burner Electronic Ignition Propane Grill Stove Model No. 9922-750

Other helpful stuff that we carry:

A tortilla press. We snobbishly insist on corn tortillas, since flour tortillas have neither fiber nor (much) nutrition and have non-trivial amounts of fat. We loathe the leather that's sold in stores as "corn tortillas". So we've found a source for (1) masa harina flour, or even better (2) masa mix. We have a griddle that rests on either the Westy stove or our outdoor Coleman stove and plays the role of the comal. The resulting corn tortillas are waaaaaay better than anything from a store. Though, I'm certain that any self-respecting abuelita would laugh at my poor gringo attempt at tortillas ... (and our Westy stove grill now has peeling chrome :-( )

Closet organizer, for the Westy closet. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_1/602-2338301-0763023?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0006ZP6LC Natural Soft Canvas 6 Shelf Organizer Makes it much easier to reach all the stuff that gets shoved into the Westy closet.

If we have an electric hook-up, then our electric heater and our DVD player. And our 15-or-so-watt shop lite. Something comparable to Harbor Freight 46114-7VGA (if you don't have an electrical hookup, then see the microColeman lamp lower down.(

On trips into BajaCal, Mexico, satellite radio.

My little table. Google the exact phrase "Table Mate II". It's convenient to put outside between our camp chairs. And when the wasps chase us inside, it's convenient for me to eat dinner seated on my throne (the front passenger seat, rotated 180 to face the living area of the Westy). (We stored our Westy-supplied tables for historical purposes, but find them heavy and inconvenient for actual usage.)

Model No. 3113A722 Micro-Coleman propane lamp. It provides more than ample light and doesn't annoy us and our fellow-campers as much do the normal-size propane lanterns. And it fits nicely along with our campstove onto the propane tree that Greg mentioned.

Our 12V bicycle-tire inflator. Also works on vehicle tires (ask Simon how he knows!) $10 from Wal-Mart.

Water connection Y-piece ... so that when we have a water hookup we can have "city water" for the van and also have an outdoor tap.

Simon's solar panel. See: http://www.oddstray.com/solar/

Several and various battery chargers.

GMRS radios (we don't use 'em often, but they're nice to have when the occasion arises).

Scrabble game. And, very importantly, one of the official Scrabble dictionaries to settle the inevitable challenges.

Hats. Since we live in SoCal, sun-protection hats are not optional. So we make sure to have hats that "live" in the van.

Electronic "tennis raquet" insect zapper. Not terribly useful, but makes a satisfying noise. Ackshirly, it wos quite useful on our last trip when a whole canvas-wall-ful of midges had snuck their way in during the evening. We paid too much for ours. Have since seen them as inexpensive as $2.99 at Harbor Freight.

B&S '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' SoCal