Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:09:51 -0700
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Testing a Fuel Injection harness??
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Hi all:

I got a fuel injection harness to replace the one that was destroyed in an engine fire. (Air-cooled Federal Vanagon.) I figured I'd do some testing of the harness before going any further with it, but I'm stumped right at the get-go and I'm wondering if there's something here I don't understand.

I first tested the wire that connects to the ignition coil; a continuity tester (test light and a battery) attached to the wire's spade connector at one end and terminal 1 of the big black ECU connector (as indicated in the wiring diagram) at the other end lit up. Cool! It's a good wire.

I then went on to test the 4 fuel injection connectors and here's where I got stumped. Looking at the wiring diagram, one of the two wires at each fuel injector connector runs to a terminal in the ECU connector and the other wire runs to the white plug that attaches to the right side of the dual relay. In each case I registered continuity between one terminal of the connector and the appropriate terminal in the ECU connector. But, when I went to do the test with the other wire in each of the fuel injection connectors I got no indication of continuity at the white dual relay plug.

The harness certainly *looks* OK and it's only an overabundance of caution that persuaded me to test it in the first place. According to my reading of the wiring diagram I should be showing continuity between the FI connectors and the white dual relay plug, but I'm not. Do I have a bad harness here, or am I missing something in my reading of the diagram?