Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Oct 2006 10:57:16 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 WBX cooling system repair
Comments: To: George Thorburn <thorgk@ACCESSCOMM.CA>

On my '84, when that nipple broke off, I trimmed the support web under where the nipple was then got a piece of brass tubing and heated it so that it would melt its way into the hole (with the help of pliers, of course). Just for the sake of overkill, I then put J-B Weld around the joint. I used it that way for 4 years, which included a number of long trips. I replaced it with a new one "Just Because" (obtained from a list member ... either Vanagain or BusDepot ... don't remember) and still have the repaired one as a spare.

Actually, in an emergency, one could trim that support web from under where the nipple broke off and fit a hose over the now accessible nub.

Mike '84 GL 7 pass '85 GL Westy

George Thorburn wrote: > Hey list, > Some time ago the nipple on the assembly mounted to the front of the engine compartment broke off. (the assembly with the bleed screw where the large hoses come together and a small diameter bleed hose goes back toward the back of the motor) The broken nipple was repaired with a short length of 1/4" steel tubing threaded into the plastic assembly. This is OK but I was wondering if any one had a better idea. Is the large plastic assembly still available? Is there a repair kit available some where? What I would like is a metal tube that would thread in and would have barbs or a bulge to help hold the small rubber hose in place. > Any ideas would be appreciated. > Thanks, > George > '85 Westfalia >