Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Oct 2006 19:10:04 -0700
From:         GMac999 <gmac999@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Moving in my Vanagon, part 2 LVC
Comments: To: Lee Peterson <iridewheelies@GMAIL.COM>

Lee,

I moved in a 5' x 8' single axle trailer from North Dakota to North Carolina. I used my stock '84 Vanagon GL -w- 1.9L wbx 4speed to pull it with. The trailer was setup with plywood set 4' high and a tarp over the top. The gas mileage was around 14mpg towing the trailer. I didn't have any problems with it, but I took my time usually running the speed limit or less. In the passes through the Smokey mountains, I had 18 wheelers passing me, but I made it fine. The van and that engine made it another 6 years and 120K.

It's now running a subie 2.2 due to the cost of rebuilding the 1.9.

GregM

On 10/6/06, Rob <becida@comcast.net> wrote:

> At 10/6/2006 02:43 PM, Lee Peterson wrote: > >So, I was strongly warned against using a u-haul trailer for my > >upcoming move by a few listmembers. It isn't worth trashing my > >syncro > transmission > >or cooking my engine. Maybe I will just pack it full and ship the

> >rest. Anyone have any ideas of a good way to ship a couple of > >pallets > worth > of household goods?

> Lee > > Just a couple of pallets worth? How about a U-haul van (not the big

> sucker, just a regular van like the ones Detroit built to copy the VW > type2) and a u-haul trailer to tow the VW? Or just the van and drive > the VW (if there are more than one of you). > > > > Rob > becida@comcast.net > > With a '91 Subaru 2.2 in an '87 Vanagon in western Washington.

Thanks for all the advice. I am trying to keep this cheap. All my stuff would fit in my vanagon if I just shipped a pallet or two.

I would rent a truck and trailer but I don't have enough stuff to fill even a 15' truck. Most rental companies require the rental of a larger truck to tow the trailer. The rental fee alone for a truck and trailer is *at least*fifteen hundred bucks (that's the best I have found). For the rental fee and fuel price I could just get rid of all my furnishings and get new ones at IKEA.

These are the options I am considering:

1. Rent a small trailer (4'x8') and pack it light. 2. Pack up vanagon and ship the rest 3. Buy a smaller trailer at Harbor Freight for about $300, pack wisley, then sell it when I arrive in WA 4. Bite the bullet, rent a truck and trailer.

I am going down to HF to look at trailers this afternoon to see if that is even a good option. I hadn't thought of it untill Mark suggested it. I think it would work great if I keep it light.

By the way, I am getting rid if my 1990 audi 90 if anyone wants it. It runs but the tranny is going out. $300.00.

Lee