Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:35:53 -0400
From:         Larry Johnson <larrynavery@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: leaking gas filler neck seal

Jerry It must be the season because our Syncro Westy just did the same thing. I was able to fix it without replacing the seal. It is a syncro so the tank is in the wrong end and getting to it is difficult. Last year I replaced the motor with a Subaru 2.2 and while I was in there I replaced the gas tank support straps. I forgot to loosen off the filler pipe when I tightened up the straps. I reasoned that the current leak was caused by the tank pressing more on the top side of the filler pipe allowing gas to seep under the bottom of the rubber gasket. I drained my tank; removed the filler pipe; cleaned it up, coated the end few inches with Permatex (gasoline compatible) gasket sealant; waited for the Permatex to start to set up; then reinserted the filler pipe a bit further into the tank; fastened the hose clamps and screwed down the pipe fastener; refilled the tank and had no leaks; let stand for 24 hours for the Permatex to finish curing. No more leaks yet. Your 2wd tank may pose some other challenges being metal where the 4wd is plastic. Good luck Larry