Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:51:33 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Autostop propane fill valve stuck open - resolution
Comments: To: Ellen in Oregon <elleninoregon@HOTMAIL.COM>

Manchester tank says to not rebyild aluminum auto stop valves.The brass will take a rebuild.However, A good cleaning will probabley do the job(that is what I say).2 pieces inside. One is an O-ring that is about 2 inches in diameter. Manchester wants $20 or $29 for this o-ring. Your old one is probably still good,unless it is flattened or pinched. I would check it out before plunking down $30 for an o-ring. Even a gold one. Just disassemble the valve and clean it. No lubrication!!! Cant go wrong with only 2 pieces to worry about.4 nice big phillips head screws hold it all together. If anyoneis having a problem with tthe auto stop valve,I hear that it is necessary to open the valve completely while filling it. Problems arise when the attendant only opens the valve partially ,and begins to fill.This,I hear is the reason for the bad reputation.So ,clean it and open it.You dont ever want a valve to get stuck open .Very scary.Had it happen once.The propane just comes back out and freezes everything in sight.By time al;lthe propane is released(propane is a refigerant),you have a block of ice weighing 20 pounds, frozen to the tank, rocker panel ,wheel,frame,ect,ect.And a $20 propane bill and a dont come back again look from the attendant.