Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:38:14 -0600
From:         David Etter <detter@MAIL.AURACOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rust on hookup panel on Westy

Hi Gerry: Why not take this opportunity to finally get rid of the problem all together. I removed all 3 'hoohup' covers and had the body man weld in a new smooth patch where there is narry a trace of a camper outlet. The reasoning is... The high pressure water entry point was never used as we never hooked up to a campground or household water system. The high pressure is always an inherent problem both with the poorly designed tap and the chance for fast and significant flooding were a leak to develop. The trickle in water tank fill up hole was always slow and difficult to tell when full, and we always filled from the inside anyway for those reasons. The electrical outlet was invariably on the wrong side and also subject to leakage so I moved the outlet to a place at the back just to the right of the left hand tail lights. I also used a real nice RV quality 120 volt outdoor outlet with a good heavy sprung lid. The benefits are that it is tucked under the lip of the rear door thus out of the rain and it is easier to plug in when parked either at home or in the campground.. Just something to consider. Good Luck! David (dsl82westy)

P.S.: Re: Removing the inside cabinets. It IS necessary to remove the cabinet if the body man is to work on the panel.Start with removing the outside fridge vent.( mark with a pen which way is up and forward for each piece) Inside - start with the fridge door (lift and remove). Remove the fridge door frame ( 3 screws - 2 bottom & one top) . Remove the silverware drawer, then disconnect the 120 volt and 12 volt cables under the sink leading behind the fridge. Use a 21 mm ( I think) wrench and undo the propane hose (MAKE SURE THE PROPANE IS TURNED OFF - CHECK BY LIGHTING THE STOVE THEN TURNING OFF THE VALVE) Remove the 4 screws ( 2 per side in the side cabinets) holding in the fridge. Lift the front - pull and tilt way down at the back. Westfalia made a poor design in the shelf under the stove. It directly blocks you from pulling the fridge straight out. Cut a 5 inch semi-circle in that fridge before reinstalling the fridge. It will make the job of fridge installation & removal so much easier the next time. B.T.W. : take this opportunity to clean the fire box and propane nozzle. Once you are familar with this procedure you will be able to pull the fridge in 20 minutes, clean in 25 minutes and reinstall in 25 minutes. Once the fridge in removed it is a simple matter to start from behind the drivers seat and remove all pertinent screws and bolts to access the outside panel. Use this time to remove the fibreglass insulation and clean up any rust in the seams. Use a wire brush - then use a paint cleaner/ prep agent - then use a rust buster or similar paint then when dry use a primer and when dry use a rubberized 'paintable undercoating'. Buy and install a hightech reflectorized insulation or make your own, just get rid of the fibreglass which holds moisture either from leakage or condensation. If you are going to go with inside water filling then the water tank fill-up hose can be plugged with rubber or cork plugs, sealed and secured with large shrink tubing on the outside.

Good Luck! David