Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Oct 2006 14:16:18 -0700
From:         Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      AIR COMPRESSOR POWERED BY BATTERY

Volks,

I have a question that I've been meaning to ask the list for some time. Being a beach person I want to drive my pax Syncro on the beach, which is legal in some places here in northeast Florida (driving on the beach makes it easier to haul fishing tackle, coolers, grills etc). In fact, that's why I originally bought the Syncro. Most folks driving on the beach air-down the tires to about 15 p.s.i. (sometimes as low as 12 with bead locking). Drew sent me a picture of his van on the beach, and he says it often works well without airing down, but I think there will be times when it becomes necessary. The challenge comes when you exit the beach and need to air-up to drive on pavement. I bought a 12 volt compressor but in testing it, plugged into the cigarette lighter, I blew out the fuse for the circuit, so I'm leery of using the lighter receptacle to air-up four big tires. Then I saw some battery alligator clips at Harbor Freight and I wondering if it might work better to rig the compressor with some longer wire and clips and run it directly off the battery. It might also be easier to reach all four wheels with longer supply wires. Has anyone done this?

Thanks, Anthony '89 Syncro GL (Hidalgo)