Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Oct 2006 15:14:52 -0400
From:         David Bohannan <fjazzbass@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: towing my van
Comments: To: Ryan Miller <rmiller@azteca.com>

Ditto that...

I pulled one behind my moving van on a flatbed...towed like a dream...no worries about tires and tranny or anything...well worth the 130 bucks it cost me to add it to my move...it might cost more for you based on not renting something else...

Oh yeah, AAA made me get a pretty good discount from Penske...

Dave

On 10/11/06, Ryan Miller <rmiller@azteca.com> wrote: > > How about instead of a dolly a flat bed trailer? That's how I got my > Vanagon > up from AZ when I moved to UT. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Raymond Paquette > Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 12:06 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: towing my van > > Hey > > I'm planning on flat towing my Syncro about 3000 miles, with the > driveshaft > and both rear axles removed. > > Opinions on how much drag I'll save by having the rear axles out? I > expect > to get about 7MPG with the tow vehicle. > > It might be nice to be able do drive it around some enroute. On the other > hand the tow vehicle gets crap fuel mileage, and anything I can do to > lessen > it's load is probably worthwhile. > > Someone suggested a tow dolly as the simplest and cheapest way to go (over > a > towbar). I can't see why. I'd have to buy/rent the dolly, and I'd still > have to take out my front driveshaft. And I'd still have the same wear on > the rear bearings and transmission. Only thing saved is on the front. > Doesn't seem simpler nor cheaper. What am I missing? > > Raymond >

-- Dave - KC9FYM http://fjazzbass.blogspot.com