Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:11:30 -0400
From:         Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Teenagers and Vanagons

Sam,

That's a great story. My son is 6 and already has his eye on any one of my buses. I only hope I can get them patched up and keep them together long enough for him to enjoy at driving age.

On 10/12/06, samc <samc@surfglobal.net> wrote: > > My stepson and I were entertaining our extended family with our shared > Westphalia stories over dinner a couple of evenings ago ... > > I recalled the hundreds of days that I drove him from home to the local > private (catholic) high school where the "norm cars" in the parking lot > tended toward new Mercedes, Saabs, Volvos, etc ... My 84 Westy, which tended > to be somewhat dented, had rust and was noise was not his idea of > "norm." Every day, as we would drive into the school's neighborhood, he > would begin bending over to tie/re-tied his shoes, and stay hunched over ... > until I stopped ... Then, his door wood fly open, and he would roll out ... > onto his feet, still hunched over, with his back pack flung in front of his > face, between his head and the front of the school .... quickly stand and > begin brushing his clothes as though he had somehow tripped ... He was > always embarrassed when some of his friends would yell, Hey Mr. "C!" and, > I'd wave, smile and answer their questions about soccer, the VW ... whatever > .... > > He one-upped me with the family by recalling a trip home from school after > a soccer practice ... The Westy had undergone its annual inspection just > before I picked him up that day .... As we were heading home and just hit > the top of the overpass over I-89, about 1/2 mile from our street, there was > a rattle, a thump, the left rear end dropped with a resulting grinding and > swerving of the vehicle ... The lad said something I won't repeat here .... > and looked up to see our rear tire speeding past the front end of the bus > and rolling into a large, fortunately uninhabited by critters, barnyard .... > Cars were honking, people pointing (a couple of his girl friends lived in > the house where I was finally able to get the VW stopped .... with dust > flying, etc ... > > He looked at me .... used some words I hadn't heard in a long while (I'm a > former USN sailor), and looked outraged but relieved when I asked him to > please run back to get the wheel ... He got it, and was even more relieved > when a suggested he might want to walk home, hidden from traffic and through > the woods that surround our home while I called and waited for AAA to come > and give the Westy a ride home. > > He is now 22, a senior at our state university, and just saw the Westy > after its tri-annual face life ... Asked if he can borrow it for a camping > trip this Fall ... HA! I pointed him to the fellow's yard wo repairs VWs, > and showed him an 86 Westy that I'm thinking of grabbing as a > project. Excellent shape - fully tested re-built engine and great body no > rust. The project will be to re-install all the cabinetry with all the new > fittings the current owner purchased but has no time or interest to rehab > the insides. The stove, reefer, sink and all the plumbing, electrical > material are sitting, unattached within the vehicle, in a garage, new parts > still in factory-labeled plastic bags ... two person owner. > > SamC > > > --- > avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. > Virus Database (VPS): 0641-3, 10/12/2006 > Tested on: 10/12/2006 1:48:47 PM > avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software. > http://www.avast.com >

-- Thanks,

Jeff 90' Carat (It's Blue, It's Beautiful, It needs a lot of work) 86' (Soon to be donating organs to the 90') 85' GL (sidelined but to be resurrected in the near future)