Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:56:55 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Intermittent  Starter
Comments: To: george_joann@BELLSOUTH.NET

Well, two theories leap to mind:

Since hot-wiring at the solenoid worked, it could be an issue with the ignition switch, or the wire loop between the ig. switch and solenoid. Did you try wiggling the key when you had the problem showing up? Do you have a lot of dangly bits weighing down your keychain (or just a lot of keys)?

If the starter was hot both times you had the issue... (and it sounds like it was) you might have a heat-sensitive solenoid... when hot, it won't move without a little extra current. Since your bypass is shorter (and newer, no corroded connectors) than the normal ignition loop, it allows enough current flow to allow the solenoid to work when hot. This is the problem the much-written-about "hot start relay" addresses.

Of course, you might have a weak ignition switch *and* dirty contacts on the connections to the switch *and* the solenoid, *and* have a solenoid that doesn't like to work when hot... the joy of old machines!

Tim

At 09:48 AM 10/12/2006 -0400, G. Jannini wrote: >Hola List, > > Thursday morning started out well, but then our Tiico Westy refused > to start after an ice cream stop on a trip from Atlanta to Circle yer > Wagens in Sevierville TN. > > Symptoms: Turn key- no response, neither clicking nor > cranking...panel lights didn't even dim. Whacking on the starter from > underneath with a hammer didn't work either, like it had before we > replaced the dad-gum thing. Got a push start from a couple of good old > boys, and proceeded up the highway. > > I tried turning off and on again whilst driving, but still nothing > happening. When we reached our destination, I cleared the wayback, > opened the hatch and made another attempt to start normally, beating on > the starter from above- still nada. > > Next up, I tried hot wiring from the solenoid to the positive > terminal on alternator- Bingo! (Thanks to Frank Condelli for having me > leave a wire connected to the solenoid for just such an > emergency.) I went to Lowes, bought some speaker wire and a door bell > switch, extended the hotwire setup forward, put all our stuff back into > place, and proceeded to have some fun at the show. > > What happened when when we fixed to leave Sunday morning should be > pretty obvious to you all- the dammed thing started in the normal manner, > and has continued to do so ever since. > > ::Scratches head:: Ignition switch? Warranty issue with starter? ??? > > George & Jo/ATL '89 WesTiico, Wernher