Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:51:31 -0400
From:         neil <goofymuso@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Cariboo trip report

Hi all.

So I put 1206 km's on a trip from Vancouver to South Cariboo. Must say it was nice to look at terrain through non-work eyes. I used to tour a lot (work) through B.C., but this time looking at the fall colours and different sun angle was a real treat. This part of B.C. was showing real nice with this great warm weather etc. But enough of the artsyfartsy part!

Happy with odometer fix, but not so happy with speedo being 20 km (too fast) out of whack. Plus it had this funny "whir click" sound that would make needle bounce. Plus the speedo dash light is burned out. This didn't help night driving. And speaking of which, I am ready to upgrade headlights, and sound proof interior, (little 12V DC heater fan plus van noise wears on one....).

Clutch felt great. Now I'm noticing that the pedal cluster may need attention. Oh well, it just wouldn't be a Vanagon withouth something to do!

Brakes were ok, though there is a vibration, of note, when applying brakes at 80KM plus speeds. Likely from fronts though I don't recall it being there before. I'll check rotor dimension. Maybe rotors out of round. All considered though, brakes worked as they should.

New Bilstien HD shocks helped with crosswinds and handling, though bumps seemed a little more pronounced. Small price to pay I think.

Engine worked great! Head temps (as viewed on recently installed gauge.... dontchaknow) ranged from 350-475 F. Pretty normal from what I've read. Makes me feel better about installing new engine seal. (KaChing!)

There was a strange noise that was completely NON dependant on speed, motion from road etc. that happened intermittently. It kind of sounded like a trains' steel wheel against track sound, but MUCH lighter in DB's. Really subtle. Don't know where to start looking, but if you've read this far .......

maybe you have an idea??

So the weather is getting colder, and the van is not set up for winter camping. Glad to have packed a little ceramic heater with me. It really helped even though weather during day in the 70's F. At night it got down to -6 C so there ya go. And at that temp, the old "Gator-Ade" bottle trick was convenient. --- ;^)

Almost got the courage up to do some dry camping all alone at a nice FREE lakeside site. Not so comfortable being totally alone at a camp site yet. Plus there was cattle literally roaming around the sites so was afraid of getting tipped over while I was asleep!

Can a cow do that to a Vanagon??? --- ;^)

Anyhow.....

Glad to have done some fall travel, and hope to do some more.

Cheers,

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil

TUBATUNE!

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil/iWeb/Site%205/Todays%20Tuba%20Tune%20.html