Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:00:34 +0000
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Busted alternator brackets - the mystery
Comments: To: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>

Have you checked to make sure all the pulley's are true and not out of round?

I know that VW made a change to the alternator pulley as I ordered a replacement and got a nice billet one to replace the two-piece metal one.

I'd also check to make sure all the pulleys are aligned as well. How tight are you adjusting the belts?

Todd '88 Westy

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM> > Volks, > > TC ... In my case it's the alternator bracket that is breaking not the > alternator adjusting arm. > > See Photo > > http://www.roadhaus.com/images/alt_bracket/alt18.JPG > > BTW .. A few other details. > > - 8 broken brackets in 3 years (~50k miles) > - 1 broken alternator bracket stud > - 2 alternators > - 2 water pumps > - One engine / AVP rebuild installed just before the first broken bracket > problem > - alternator belts 6-8 > > I have always felt there must be some weird vibration causing the problem. > > I've probably tried all the more common solutions ... > > - Belt not too tight > - Belt not too loose > - Changed alternator > - Tried one of Frank C's alternator brackets with extra welds to strengthen > - Tighten lower alt bolt .. Was slightly loose to allow belt adjustment > > > Dennis and BennyBoy brought up some things I hadn't considered before. > > - slightly offset/oscillating crankshaft pulley > - check the mounting surface on the case .. Is it flat > - use grade 12.9 hex bolts, hardened washers, loctite & a torque wrench at > 32 ft/lbs. > > Thinking back it's possible that one or more of the lower alternator bracket > bolts was slightly loose at the time of breakage. > > > good road, > good adventure, > good life, > > larry chase > www.roadhaus.com > soon to be roadhaus.org > > - - - > > > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:28:45 -0700 > From: TC <trclark@SHAW.CA> > Subject: Re: 85GL 1.9 Busted alternator mounting bracket stud ..2nd time in > 2 > years > > Larry > It looks to me like you are braking the alternator adjusting bracket ? for > me it is the stud/bolt that go into the block hairs from the water jackets > :( on the lower bracket under that alt : realy not feeling good about right > angle drilling that stud out again ... > > >Alternator Brace Photo > >http://www.roadhaus.com/images/alt_bracket/alt03.JPG > > And the brace pic is bracing the adjusting bracket ... > > so I guess it looks like i am gonna see if a local machine shop can come up > with some type of a brace maybe both top & bottom > > - - - > > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:13:42 -0700 > From: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> > Subject: Re: 85GL 1.9 Busted alternator mounting bracket stud ..2nd time in > 2 > years > > Those are a little wacky guys. > > I was wondering Larry if you had tried welding a short piece of 3/4" or 1" > steel strap at 90 degrees to the top side of the adjustment arm to stiffen > it. Of course it might then transfer the load to the other bracket and cause > a failure like TC's! > > Just thinking..... > > - - - > > Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:22:52 -0400 > From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> > Subject: Alternator brackets! Why they break. > > The Water Boxer Alternator Bracket is one of those parts that can cause a > lot of grief. The problem with replacement is that the cause is often not > determined and corrected. To make matters worse, failure usually breaks the > studs and the moving bracket destroys the mating surface on the case so a > proper fix is difficult. > > Failure can be the result of mechanical fatigue or corrosion of either the > bracket or the mounting studs. Improper belt tension, (too loose) or a bad > rear bearing can create shock waves or vibrations that put the mounting to > the test. After rear bearing fails, the rotor can hit the stator windings > taking chunks out of both. Rebuilds often use these damaged components. > > Many folks leave the bottom alternator bolt just loose enough to allow belt > adjustment. This is a no-no. Any vibration will cause some movement at this > joint and now you get a little velocity. The alternator now becomes a high > speed hammer. Keep in mind that little alternator is spinning at some 2.5 > times the engine speed. Yes, that 4,500 rpm hill climb is spinning that > thing at almost 10,000 rpm and that belt you left loose trying save the > bearings is flapping all over putting all types of cyclic harmonic loads on > the mountings. > > So the bracket finally gives out and we have the broken studs. We some > drill, prey, curse whatever and get them out. We restore the threads and get > new studs, nuts, and a bracket. Is the mounting surface on the case flat? It > needs to be. Get a big file before installing the studs. Where did you get > the studs? Most studs are property class 5, (grade 5.8)or lower. These are > OK for crushing that exhaust gasket, maybe. Not to be used here. You need to > Property Class 10, (grade 10.9) or better. The nuts and washers have to > match. These can be hard to come by. A set screw can be used as a stud. I > myself like to use grade 12.9 hex bolts, hardened washers, loctite and a > torque wrench. Think CV joints at 32 ft/lbs. > > That bottom alternator bolt also needs to be tight. Both sides of the > alternator should be true and the hole should not be worn into an oval. If > you can adjust the belt, the bolt is too loose. > > Looking at Larry's picture, I see thread impact marks and corrosion in the > mounting bolt holes. It came loose before it failed. I also see some wear > marks where the alternator sits. It was probably moving there also. There > may be a problem with the alternator but it looks like the fasteners failed > first (lost preload and loosened) and the hammering caused the final > failure. Additional supports or braces probably will not help this. Get rid > of excess vibrations and improve the fasteners and all will be good. > > Dennis > > - - - > > ate: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:40:55 -0400 > From: +++++++++++ <vw4x4@VERIZON.NET> > Subject: Re: 85GL 1.9 Busted alternator mounting bracket stud ..2nd time in > 2 > years > > REplace the Alternator.... Its way out of balance. > > - - - > > rom: Benny boy [mailto:huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA] > Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 6:56 AM > To: VANAGON@GERRY.VANAGON.COM; Larry Chase > Subject: Re: 85GL 1.9 Busted alternator mounting bracket stud ..2nd time in > 2 years > > > Ho men!!! can you believe that you went from that engine condition: > http://www.benplace.com/roadhaus/100_0213.jpg > > To totday's condition... dirty dirty dirty boy... > > he he he > > To all: Remember one thing, ALT oscillation is normal to a point, i found a > few reasons for those ALT bracket break! -old alternators (unbalance) -Wrong > lower ALT bolt holding the ALT (miss-align) -ALT fan unbalance (you may have > a rebuilt ALT but they use the same fan) -weak bracket(S) (normal wear) > -poor design -Old water pump -too tight or too loose V-Belt -slighly > offset/oscillating crankshaft pulley (pulley has been hit with a hammer and > the pulley groove is not perfect anymore) -Bad V-belt > > Current draw! mmm.... i guess it's possible > > Another thing, worse than the ALT bracket breaking.. that oscillation can > wear out the water pump quite fast!!! lately, i brand new pump went wrong > (leaking) after 1500miles, i tought it was a defective one... nop! that ALT > was the reason. > > Larry idea is nice... > > Ben > http://www.benplace.com/