Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:42:11 -0700
From:         Tom Forhan <fourwdvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Very loud screech when AC compressor turns on (Dennis check
              this out please)
Comments: To: Tim Kasher <kashtpk@BELLSOUTH.NET>

First of all I'm not sure its a good idea to lube the belts and pulleys, indeed I have never heard of doing that. The belts and pulleys depend on friction to keep everthing turning.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you did, I would remove all the belts, clean the pulleys to get all the lubricant off, and then install brand new belts.

Your symptom, an embarrassing squeal that eventually goes away, still sounds like a belt problem to me. Without the a/c on, all the belts spin and the a/c pulley turns, but there is no load. When you turn the a/c on a load is imposed by the compressor and if the belt is not good or is loose it slips and squeals, but eventually is able to transfer enough power to turn the compressor at speed and the squealing stops, as you describe.

I've heard compressors make funny noises, and I've seen them frozen so they will not move, but I've never experienced one that squeals and then stops squealing repeatedly - but belts do that all the time. Maybe others with more experience can chime in to correct me.

Good luck

Tom F.