Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:09:42 -0700
From:         Nathaniel Poole <npoole@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: air cooled heat smells funky

What I'm getting is that the heater boxes are the real culprits, even if they look fine on the outside. I wonder if going over them with a torch would burn off any internal oil (rather than just making it smoke like the exhaust temp does), wash with solvent and then water. And what about those ancient plastic and paper tubes? Are replacements available aftermarket? As far as future oil leaks go, when I install new pushrod tube seals and rocker cover gaskets, should I use gasket sealant? Finally, I noticed significant oil running down BETWEEN the two passenger side cylinders, ABOVE the pushrod tubes. I was on my back looking up beneath the vehicle, but couldn't see far because of all the tin (the lowermost covers were off). I'm gonna pull this motor tomorrow to replace all potential problem seals, and wondering what new seal I'm missing that would cause a leak in this part of the motor?

Thanks for all the help.

Nathaniel