Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:11:01 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weekender interior questions

> grey w/ blue or brownish tones? Do you play chess? maybe you want a > more rubbery and grippy table top? laptop work area? how much weight > do you want to hold up there at table height? a bottle of wine, or 4 > buckets of fresh caught frogs?

Yeah, I'm thinkin' "bucket of frogs x4" capacity, myself. For a while I was playing with a table w/mounting bracket I picked up for cheap, ruminating over how one might mount such a thing in a plain-vanilla van like mine while retaining full use of the giganto width rear seat bed. I considered alternate tables, but that stock bracket is really stout, just the thing to support buckets and buckets of frogs. The "easy" solution is to just flip the table up when you want to use the bed, but that's a serious pain. I did some fiddling and figured that you could saw the two "legs" of the mounting bracket down so they only reach to about midway up the side panel. This gives the tabletop a little more room to "push in" (so it hangs angled in from the normal vertical position), just enough for the bed to pass by. Of course this effectively doubled the amount of force on the ends of the legs, requiring a fairly heavy horizontal brace (some unistrut?) to retain the table's strength. A bit of work, and not at all compatible with any of the stock side panels, but workable. I gave up on the project once I figured out that I like to leave the bed folded out and take out the rear-facing seats to make room for the cooler when I'm camping. No point in having a table you won't use anyway. Given that I'm a bit of a "fair weather" camper, I find I much prefer sorting my buckets of frogs out on the picnic table anyway.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger"