Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:04:01 -0700
From:         Nathaniel Poole <npoole@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: <no subject>

I hope it's not as drastic as that. There is only one upper nut lightly seeping oil, so maybe that seal just needs to be replaced? I also noticed that the studs had oil at their bases, but assume that they aren't exposed to oil pressure and that it must have seeped out from the cylinder bases. I also noticed that they don't all seem to be screwed in as far (more threads visible on some). But compression recently tested 120-130 psi. I guess the next question is how do I check for all this without completely tearing the engine apart? For all I know the guy who last worked on it didn't put new base gaskets in (he said he didn't know much about vw engines). I only say this because he had the engine out and did a lot of work without addressing any of the oil issues (two months later and the valve covers leak, push rod tube seals leaking, flywheel seal leaking) Even the intake bolts were loose!