Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:05:40 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump pressure
Comments: To: Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hi Ed,

I looked this stuff up back in 2002 in Bath NY, when Dad's vanagon westy had a fuel pump failure on the way to EveryBus. Fred Roberts Auto parts had a VERY thick book of parts specs and was kind enough to cross reference these details in order to find us the part we needed to get back on the way. And when he didn't have the part in stock he directed us to the local NAPA who did.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but the gallons per hour and max pressure ratings are VERY similar. I recall that the vanagon pump had a slightly different high-pressure shut-off point, but since that in both cases it was about 3x the operating pressure of the fuel pressure regulator it isn't a significant detail.

The Vanagon fuel rail regulates its pressure with a regulator that constantly dumps excess fuel back to the tank. Upstream of the regulator you get the desired pressure according to the signal that the regulator receives. As long as the gallons per hour and pressure specs of the pumps are similar, the end result at the fuel rail and injector will be the same. I would be more concerned about an over- rated GPH rate than the max pressure rating, as the fuel rail will never get to max pressure unless the regulator fails or the return line is blocked.

That vanagon is still using that same fuel pump about 70,000 miles later.

http://www.pottsfamily.ca/VW_type2/EB2002/AGF00016.JPG

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/75/77/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia www.busesofthecorn.com