Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:09:02 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What tires for 91 Westy?

When it comes to driving many different Vanagons with many different tire combinations, I'm pretty sure I've driven more combinations than 95% of the people on this list, and I can say without doubt, that most car tires (not all) are useless on the Vanagon. Generally, the ride will be softer and the handling will be lousy due to the weaker sidewalls. I can't really attest to the longevity of car tires over truck tires, but I can say that nearly every van that comes into the shop with car tires has sidewall cracking.

These observations are for vans running the stock size tires (14"). Once you get into larger size rims, the sidewall and load ratings of car tires tend to increase and the differences in performance are reduced.

No flame intended, just my observations over the past 25 years.

Cheers,

Jeff www.autostadtwest.com www.vanagonparts.com