Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:31:56 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy Soundproofing
Comments: To: Gerald Royston <gmr@OBPA.USDA.GOV>

Your best return for the dollar is in 15 inch tires. The 48psi that the 85 westy requires,makes the tires hard rubber sound transmitters. Sound deadening MAY just cover ths up a bit.Maybe not. 15 inch tires that inflate to say, 35psi, will reduce the road noise.After that, all the other sound deadening products will work almost equally. Be creative , and save money.At a junkyard,study what manufactures use, and where they put it.The foil backed aftermarket product will make the doors shut like a Cadillac. I used a underhood soundliner from a late Buick(very clean $5), for the rear hatch.Fits very nice.This will do the sliding door,too.Not the front doors,as the window is in the way.Need a spray on produce, there.A major concern is vapor release from the produces you use.Personally,I would not use anything for undercoating,and out of a spray can, on the interior. Sound deadener on the fan schroud.Kool Seal was a failure. Went on in the wheel wells fine,but is flaking off,badly,after 2 years. The lower priced roofing product is still perfect ,on the front wells.I used large sheets of sound deadening material from a 90 Dodge caravan(dont use a later year).I used it below the floor boards in the westy.It gave great results for $5 (entire floor). Has the tar like backing that the expensive stuff has.I think most folks here that report good sound reduction have late vanagons to begin with.They have the 205 sized tires,and improved factory sound deadening.If you think the more money you spend will do the mostest,you are wrong.Start with the 15 inch wheels .