Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:42:41 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gear crunching on rebuilt trans
Comments: To: Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Has your shop thought to adjust the shift linkage? How long have you owned your van?

The reason I ask is that for many vanagon owners, the transmission begins shifting sloppily at some point in the life of the transmission, so the shift linkage gets adjusted to compensate for the wear. If your transmission gets the wear "reversed" by rebuilding, then it may need to have any/all previous adjustments "reversed" too.

Also, you say that the hydraulics are excellent, but has anyone actually measured the movement of the slave cylinder arm? It may be coincidental that your hydraulics show a problem at the exact timing of a transmission repair, but it wouldn't be the first time such a coincidence has happened.

I had to get my linage adjusted when I had the five-speed rebuilt in my diesel westy. It simply wouldn't even go into second unless the car was stopped, in which case I could start from second but couldn't shift back into it during normal operation.

I did not own the car from new, so I have no idea what adjustments had been made, but I can say that this adjustment fixed the problem.

At the same time, my 90 carat started shifting poorly at about 190K miles, and within a week of the westy's adjustment, i had the same done to the carat. I owned that car from new so I know that was the first time such a compensating adjustment was made.

It's something you should at least ask about. Seems your shop would be happy to put in a few minutes to try it.

Jim