Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:22:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Alternator brackets! Why they break.

The Water Boxer Alternator Bracket is one of those parts that can cause a lot of grief. The problem with replacement is that the cause is often not determined and corrected. To make matters worse, failure usually breaks the studs and the moving bracket destroys the mating surface on the case so a proper fix is difficult.

Failure can be the result of mechanical fatigue or corrosion of either the bracket or the mounting studs. Improper belt tension, (too loose) or a bad rear bearing can create shock waves or vibrations that put the mounting to the test. After rear bearing fails, the rotor can hit the stator windings taking chunks out of both. Rebuilds often use these damaged components.

Many folks leave the bottom alternator bolt just loose enough to allow belt adjustment. This is a no-no. Any vibration will cause some movement at this joint and now you get a little velocity. The alternator now becomes a high speed hammer. Keep in mind that little alternator is spinning at some 2.5 times the engine speed. Yes, that 4,500 rpm hill climb is spinning that thing at almost 10,000 rpm and that belt you left loose trying save the bearings is flapping all over putting all types of cyclic harmonic loads on the mountings.

So the bracket finally gives out and we have the broken studs. We some drill, prey, curse whatever and get them out. We restore the threads and get new studs, nuts, and a bracket. Is the mounting surface on the case flat? It needs to be. Get a big file before installing the studs. Where did you get the studs? Most studs are property class 5, (grade 5.8)or lower. These are OK for crushing that exhaust gasket, maybe. Not to be used here. You need to Property Class 10, (grade 10.9) or better. The nuts and washers have to match. These can be hard to come by. A set screw can be used as a stud. I myself like to use grade 12.9 hex bolts, hardened washers, loctite and a torque wrench. Think CV joints at 32 ft/lbs.

That bottom alternator bolt also needs to be tight. Both sides of the alternator should be true and the hole should not be worn into an oval. If you can adjust the belt, the bolt is too loose.

Looking at Larry's picture, I see thread impact marks and corrosion in the mounting bolt holes. It came loose before it failed. I also see some wear marks where the alternator sits. It was probably moving there also. There may be a problem with the alternator but it looks like the fasteners failed first (lost preload and loosened) and the hammering caused the final failure. Additional supports or braces probably will not help this. Get rid of excess vibrations and improve the fasteners and all will be good.

Dennis