Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:37:13 -0700
From:         Mike Rouby <mikerouby@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Microbus Concept in Production says this website...
Comments: To: Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM>

The Ohio VW link is dated 2006 so maybe it's back on the drawing board. I don't like the fact that the driver is no longer sitting on top of the front wheels, and I bet the engine is in the front. Otherwise, it's good stuff.

Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> wrote: I thought they had scraped the design shown at the auto shows in 2004 and had decide to redesign and have this thing made for them by Chrysler. Or is that just for the North American market? If this report is for both NA and European markets I think I have a new interest in it.

On 10/20/06, robertmstewart wrote: > > http://www.ohiovw.com/news/microbus.asp > > So here's something I found today, some more recent news on the Microbus > concept: lets all hold our breath till it comes out... > > Here's what the site stated: > > · 1,500 new jobs at Stöcken site > · 5000 x 5000 model complete > · Dr. Bernd Pischetsrieder: all market studies positive > · Bernd Wiedemann: entering new era > · Günter Lenz: staff put up marvelous fight > > The decision has been taken: the Microbus will be built in Hanover. In the > presence of several thousand employees, the management and Works Council > today signed an agreement to build the new model. Speaking at the Stöcken > site, Dr. Bernd Pischetsrieder, Chairman of the Board of Management > Volkswagen AG, said: "Having reviewed the economic requirements for > building > the Microbus in the Group, we have come to the conclusion that, based on > the > 5000 x 5000 project and a thorough restructuring of the Hanover site, the > conditions are good." > > Bernd Wiedemann, Spokesman of the Managing Body Volkswagen Commercial > Vehicles, commented: "This is a great day for Hanover. Volkswagen > Commercial > Vehicles is entering a new era." > > The decision means 1,500 new jobs for the Hanover plant. These jobs will > be > created as part of the unique 5000 x 5000 labour model. Under this new > concept, Volkswagen AG will employ a total of 5,000 persons for a gross > wage > of DM 5,000 (€ 2,556). The decision to create 3,500 new jobs to produce a > minivan at the Wolfsburg plant was already taken last year. > > > Günter Lenz, Chairman of the Works Council Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, > said: " The Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles team put up a marvellous fight > to > win this vehicle. All our efforts have been rewarded. The decision shows > that the Hanover site can hold its own in an international comparison of > VW > locations." > > Bernd Wiedemann thanked the Volkswagen AG Board of Management for the > confidence it was placing in the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles brand: > "The > decision is a great challenge - a challenge we are very willing to > accept." > > By deciding to build the Microbus, Volkswagen has set its sights on a new > segment - a MPV combining striking design and high functionality with the > comfort of a limousine. Dr. Pischetsrieder emphasised that "with the > Microbus, a legend begun some 50 years ago when the first VW bus left the > production line here is now returning to Hanover. The VW bus was never > just > a means of transport, it has always been an emotive cult object. The > public's reaction at motor shows combined with the findings of market > studies already show us that the Microbus design has a spontaneous appeal, > and that the vehicle will follow in the footsteps of its successful > predecessor." > > The Microbus concept car debuted at the Detroit Motor Show. The vehicle > was > also given an enthusiastic reception at the Tokyo, Geneva and Frankfurt > Motor Shows. The Microbus was designed at the Volkswagen Design Studio in > California. > > Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles / Communications >

-- Thanks,

Jeff 90' Carat (It's Blue, It's Beautiful, It needs a lot of work) 86' (Soon to be donating organs to the 90') 85' GL (sidelined but to be resurrected in the near future)